Question from a New User: What Do You All Do in the DR?

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Hi.

I've just joined the board. I've only been to the DR once; Punta Cana 2 years ago. We're heading back there next month, God and potential Air Transat strikers willing. ;-)

I had no idea there were so many ex-pat North Americans living in the DR. What do you all do for a living down there? Are you fluent in Spanish, or is that not an issue? What part of the country do you live in? My only experience there is an all-inclusive resort! Not really a true DR experience, is it? ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Tom_in_Ottawa said:
Hi.
Not really a true DR experience, is it? ;)

Nope. Or any other country either.

Air Transat is thinking of striking? Wow. A year ago they and all other airlines are on a knife's edge of survival, and a year later they can go on strike.

When you go this trip try going outside the AI resort. Though I guess in PC there's not much else to do.

All kidding aside (except the AI part) there are employed, the self employed and retirees, and I would expect that all speak Spanish as it is near impossible to get around (outside AI's) in just English.

I am not sure how many are in the capital area but at least one is in Santiago and several on the north shore near PP or Sosua.

I go 6 times a year to the south shore and expect to retire there but not until another 9 years are up. I have self-taught Spanish. And I practice with a Peruvian here in Toronto.

Last edited:

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
I'm addicted to this board because I have interests in DR, not because I live there. I visited for the first time in May of this year and have been back three times since. I have a boyfriend in Bavaro who is from Boca Chica. I "hang out" in both and know the road in between very well. I also plan to retire somewhere in the DR in the neighborhood of ten years. In the meantime I live and work in Miami, Fl, USA

Last edited: