Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah Gods! I live in the DR now - and it is Christmas!

It has been four or six weeks or so, that I've lived in the DR. Missed Thanksgiving altogether. Maybe we did not have water, or the electricity was off, or the neighbor's donkey kicked the dog or something.

Or maybe it was the 'gift' that I had to quickly prepare for the wife of the manager of the free zone - before I could get real confirmation of space that we were sure to get for the business.

Or maybe it was the time that I needed to go to 'our' local customs agent to figure out why he was charging me US$400 on a US$100 shipment of product samples.

Or maybe it was the time that we had to get all the neighbors together to decide what to offer the electricity fellow who refused to fix the electricity feed to 6 or so houses - unless a payment was made for his trouble.

Or it could have been the rental car that I had to take back for the sixth time - I figured out that a horn is really necessary, and our rental car did not/does not yet have one.

Or maybe it was the hours that we spent on the roof to get the broadband satellite dish working (we do this for a living!) but with no power, the commissioning process changes quite considerably.

Or maybe it was the day that we found a great french crepe/pancake house and stayed there for most of the rest of the day. Or maybe the day that I really discovered Brugal!

So, now it is close to Christmas and I'm wondering if I'm going to miss Christmas as well - and I really don't care.

Tonight is a good night. The power is on and repaired, the waterpump pumps, the gas is ready for the generator if the power goes out, the geysers work and I have hot water for a shower, the broadband satelite internet feed possibly ate a good amount of TNT and is really fast, the local fruit and veg vendor is now charging me local instead of tourist prices - everyone that I have contact with helps with learning the local lingo, and I have no idea what is happening in the rest of the world.

Anybody on the Cabarete, Sosua, POP stretch that would like to exchange paperbacks? Cheap novels?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas Chris.......
    Now take the day, pack a picnic and GO TO THE BEACH!!
    Think of all us poor souls freezing our duffs off just to have a white Christmas at home with the kids!!!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris - Tell me about your broadband satellite dish.
    I'm curious to know how it's working and the costs involved.

Isn't living here fun

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

So, you are now officially "aplatanado".
    Last edited by Pib; 12-16-2002 at 01:10 AM.

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

Satellite Broadband: tell us more

I got paperbacks to trade too, but i am out of the country for a while...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, for the messages. The beach sounds good, the snow, not so good, and identifying with being a plantain is going to precipitate an identity crisis. And the kids, I guess its time to answer their e-mails soon.

On the satellite broadband questions, I'll reply individually - not too sure what the feeling would be if I post something like a sales pitch on the board. Just generally, the technology is called VSAT, for Very Small Aperture Technology. It works and it works very well - It is not a 'cheap' hobby but if you spread the cost over a few users, it becomes affordable. Really Really good and reliable for businesses and private communities.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi SJH

If you let me have an e-mail address, I'll tell you about VSats.

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    send me email at [email protected]

As the board owner (Robert) invited you to post the info, maybe a short summary wouldnt be considered spam...

Stephen

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris, post away, lots of us are interested. I was a beta tester for a broadband satellite service started by and Israeli company by the name of Gillat in the states and sold them in 2 retail stores. Cost monthly was about 70 bux and the service sucked to tell the truth but more than ok for someone with no chance of getting DSL or Cable Modem. Always some bull**** about being on a bad cluster or some such trash. Equipment was expensive as well. It was also sold through Dish Network.

I am down all the time and bring fresh 6 paperbacks and hardcover books with me. I would be happy to turn em over to you on Jan. 6th which is when I leave after arriving on the 25th of this month. 809-853-6158 is my cell.

Good luck in the DR Chris. You will need some to put up with a lot of the BS

Regards,
    Scott

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

PS> You may do well to advertise your service on this website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast