DR Music Compilation?

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hello,

Soon time to go back to a chilly Europe, after 3 1/2 months in the Caribe. To warm me up during christmas, and to bring back some memories from Hispaniola, it would be nice to have a tape or CD with the Merengue and Bachata hits of the autumn. Does anyone know of a quality collection that I could buy?If I go to el Conde or La Mella I'll find thousands of different compilations but the problem is I don't know the names and artists of the songs I've heard so i risk getting some cheap stuff that I don't even recognize. Basically I just want a CD with the main hits of this half of the year. Anyone?

And also, where in SD can I find it?

Thanks,

mne

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
If you really like......

the all but forgotten merengue, which in my opinion is the most overrated dance, here are the names you should pick:

1)If you like out and outdated boring old fashioned merengue for the very old set get a compilation of:

Juan Luis Guerra (Bachata Rosa, Niagara en Bicicleta, El Costo de La Vida) Wilfrido and Sergio Vargas(either will do), Eddy Herrera, Hermanos Rosario, Ramon Orlando, any 440, Coco Band, Fernandito Villalona, Ruby Perez, Milly Quezada, and Johnny Ventura. Venturas son and his band, although young, qualify for outmoded. They are called Los Potros.

2)Extremely old but somehow has kept pace with the new:
To?o Rosario(his newer stuff is the worst hes ever made-Kulikitaki and now Tukuliyokula)

3)The new noisy group with terrible taste, but sells well:
Tulile(His newest song was prohibited due to disgusting lyrics), Nelson de La Olla(several songs prohibited)

4)The "in" set, the new breed, new trends, good music to dance and understand:
Oro Solido, Grupo Mania, Elvis Crespo, La Makina, Swing Divino.

5)What is not merengue but is wrongly called:
Any new Juan Luis Guerra, Chichi Peralta and the newest bore Pavel Nu?ez.

6)Coolest merengue-like sound: Fusion of Merengue, regetton by Hector and Tito called "Gata salvaje", the best selling Latin song in Miami. You can dance this with merengue or reggae. I hate "La Negra Tiene Tumbao" by Celia Cruz, the Latin mommy of the Egyptian Pharaods.

Of course, ask Musicqueen. She always differs from my opinion.

TW|