Appropriate Bribe/Mordida/Propina for Gifts?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I am bringing a CD RW drive for a friend on Christmas Day in my carry-on and on the assumption I get nabbed by customs (though they don't often check me with just carry-on) how much of a tip would be expected with the least hassle?

The peso devaluation makes me leery to offer less than RD$100 or maybe US$10? Too little? Too much?

I am travelling with a laptop PC as well but I think I won't be able to BS the guy into believing it's going to be used with an IDE full size CD RW drive. It was only $63 US to buy the CDRW.

I have some other gifts like CD's and DVD's but my PC plays them so I am comfortable they are for my personal use. Even though they aren't really.

And one bottle of icewine but that could be (whoops. is) for personal consumption too.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gee you're generous.......50 pesos usually does it or even less depending. Personally we've never had to "offer" a gift even tho' we bring two huge duffles on wheels stuffed with lots of "toys".

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Cheap at 1/2 the price

MommC said:
Gee you're generous.......50 pesos usually does it or even less depending. Personally we've never had to "offer" a gift even tho' we bring two huge duffles on wheels stuffed with lots of "toys".

I don't anticipate but arriving Xmas Day I think will be minimal volumes of passengers combined with a natural day to be bringing in swag, so they may have more time to browse.

Still RD$50 is like $2.00 US so it is not worth the hassle not to , I am not sure I even have any peso bills that small with me, I think they are all 500 and 100's.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey....if you're arriving Xmas day....bring a small box of chocolates with a bow on it. Pick a line that has a female and "gift" her the chocolates for "Navidad". No problemo!!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
OK, I can do that.

MommC said:
Hey....if you're arriving Xmas day....bring a small box of chocolates with a bow on it. Pick a line that has a female and "gift" her the chocolates for "Navidad". No problemo!!

How small ( or big) a box - like the one with 6 or 8 or the one with 50 in it?

A

americano

I dont get your original question. Why can't you bring a CDRW drive? Please explain if there prohibitions against bringing certain items into the country. This might be useful for my future travels. Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jazz is right......but that still doesn't mean you won't get hit on for a "regalo di Navidad".
I usually carry a $1.99 box of "Black Magic" chocolates in my carry one just in case. While I've never had to use it the kids on the street love them when I hand them out (like I need to eat them myself!!!).

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
the problem with gift wrapping things now, might be in your departure airport where they might make you unwrap so they can inspect the item. Most of the time I only have my carry on searched, but last time I came back from the DR they opened my check in baggage and searched it prior to letting me check it in.

Jerry

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Gifts are Duty Free for Residents

americano said:
I dont get your original question. Why can't you bring a CDRW drive? Please explain if there prohibitions against bringing certain items into the country. This might be useful for my future travels. Thanks

I am visiting not living there and as such like if someone came into Canada with a load of computer parts our customs would likely have a few questions as well. You can bring stuff in here for personal use but if you are leaving it there are restrictions ($ amounts e.g.) . Thus having "exact change" (or chocolates) in advance is prudent.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
For Residents right?

jazzcom said:
NO DUTY ON CHRISTMAS GIFTS> JUST GIFT WRAP IT.

Scott

I know the annual $1000 exemption is on for Xmas for DR citizens and residents bringing swag into the DR - I am not sure it applies to tourists.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Last time I brought in something near Christmas (it was just after in early Jan.) I just told the customs guy it was a Christmas present for my "cognato" (sp?) Miguel (it was a 13" TV). He figured my sister was married to a Dominican and sent us right thru!
But hey....I've never had any problems going through any customs lines anywhere I've travelled even when I've declared I'm over limits and said I'd have to pay I never have! I have a friend who always gets stopped and searched.....Go figure.
Go prepared to pay (which I do ), don't tell them any more than you have to, take a "gift" to whomever you want and RELAX!
It won't be a problem.......

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I'll Tell Them that....

Hey this is a bribe for the President already , I should not have to pay a bribe to import it. They'd believe that.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
:) You're probably right!!! I wouldn't doubt it in the least........
but seriously ricktoronto - don't sweat it and most important don't pay if you don't absolutely have to. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've brought in ( like a water cooler, TV, etc) and I've never paid so much as a peso (seems like it's more often the Dominicans who get nailed for the mordida!).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I bring computer parts, including CR-RW and many other items all the time. They will not bother you or even ask for anything. I never paid duty on any of the small computer items. Don't be generous and simply play tough. Chances are, they won't even touch your carry on bag if you look gringo enough.
Have a safe trip.
AZB

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The ONE Time I had my bag examined

Was last Christmas and I was bringing in 24 dozen condoms for a friend who lives there and they were in a great big clear bag. The guy just could not "get up" the nerve to ask me about them (or ask for a bribe) other than to stare. The hand examination of the bag at the airport was fun as well.

They also pad fragile items in your luggage very well.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have brought in complete PCs, a computer monitor, and most recently all the parts to build a complete computer based Video Editing system and have never paid a nickel. I always just walk confidently between those customs checking tables. If some one waves to me, I say "what" in English and look real confused. I only had my baggage searched once when I had a computer with me.

The guy called a supervisor over, this was maybe 4 years ago. I said, it's a Pentium 90 that I would throw out in the US, but was giving to my novia so we could exchange email. The supervisor said, P 90? Go ahead!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
rafael said:

The guy called a supervisor over, this was maybe 4 years ago. I said, it's a Pentium 90 that I would throw out in the US, but was giving to my novia so we could exchange email. The supervisor said, P 90? Go ahead!

Maybe I can buy a P-90 install the CDRW drive, then throw out the P-90 once I make it under the wire.

I bought small Pot of Gold Chocolate and Truffles today and they will be on top for obviousness of bribe-ness. Per mommC's tip - total cost $2.00 CDN.