Air France caused panic in AILA

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
A Jumbo de Air France caused panic in the AILA thats was the first time that the pilot landed in the Dominican airport and he was put to land in opposite sense.

PHOTO
NOT4taNOT1_F.jpg

The Jumbo has capacity for almost 450 passengers.

AILA. A Boeing 747 of Air France with 439 passengers on board, whom
flight 3698 between Paris and Santo Domingo made, was on the verge of
undergoing a mishap when the pilot initiated the landing in an
opposite direction of the runway.

The airship had to rectify and to rise when it was on the verge of
touching ground, when receiving a fast warning of one of the air
controllers.

The airship happened closely together of the building of the terminal
of the AILA, had to make a left turn stops after giving two returns,
before taking the track and landing again without difficulties.

Aeronautical technicians of the AILA attributed the error to that it
was the first time that the pilot landed in this terminal.

They explained, also, that if the pilot does not obey the
recommendation of the air controller, Jumbo 747 had left the track.

Between the passengers there were several Dominican ones been in
Europe, who came to spend Christmases with their families. Several of
these Creoles explained that the flight was planned to arrive at the 6
p.m. of Sunday, presented/displayed problems in Paris, and all the
passengers were transferred to a hotel. After 15 hours of delay they
could fly to Santo Domingo: "After to have passed so many vicissitudes
in France and already when we came arriving at the country he
presents/displays this situation that put the end nerves", Rodriguez,
native of Azua said to Rose and that returned to the country after two years in Paris.

Reported on 17 December 2002 at www.listindiario.com.do and www.diariolibre.com

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
hmmm

It is hard to believe that was the pilot fault entirely. These airplanes are provided with a modern navigational equipment which guide you to the runway directly. I prefer to believe it was a language difficulty between the two, that just blame it on the pilots. I would like to hear the recorded conversation between the both...but they were probably erased as likely. Last year it happened with an Iberia flight and the controllers got fired and has happened in couple of other places with same results.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
GRS.....have you seen the "modern" navigational equipment at most DR airports????
I don't think it was entirely pilot error either- more likely controller error........

swake

Oct 27, 2002
There's also something like an advanced GPS aboard these aircraft, next to detailed avation charts. Runway numbers correspond with an inbound radial so it's hard to believe that this fella'd be pickin the opposite runway. Landing on a non authorised runway is extremely rare. Take offs from wrong runways (or taxiways!) however seem to be more common.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Error

So if you think its a GPS and its a ATC fould why the aircraft gos the wrong Haeding. (Runway 17) = 169 degrees it can a fould or a error at the aircraft, why the aircraft lands save?

this Boeing 747-300 has a delay of 15 hours

Sunday 15th Dec 2002:
Paris Charles de Gualle Roissy Airport of Paris, France

13:10 AF 3698 Santo Domingo Cancelled
Postponed to 16th Dec. 2002 after a 15 hours delay.

A fould of the ATC i think not, they hace recolved de fould. Ifts is a ATC fould thits will a bad way to get the Category 1 (FAA)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I would pressume that AF has an interest in defending their personnel had not it being their fault. Or maybe the journalist didn't contact AF for a comment, that would be unforgivable. If I don't hear from AF I would put the burden on them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's keep this civil people. I deleted the language related posts.
If English is not someone's first language, please do not pull them apart due to mistakes. Also... What might not be news for you, maybe news for someone else. If you have nothing constructive to add to a thread, don't bother posting in it, please!!!

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

I hope this isn't a duplicate post, after months of reading I decided to post and am having a situation that appears to be FUBAR

The pilot is responsible, pure and simple. No one but the person in the left seat can make the final decison where to land, not land or whatever.

As to the language, Miami Center, SDQ approach, SDQ Tower and the Pilot all must communicate in english

I hate blaming a pilot, being a 30 year USAF pilot, but it was his decision where and how to land. I can't say if he wasn't influenced by erroneous data, but it was his decision