Going solo!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I have been reading your message board for a while now and have gleaned much useful information for my future trip. However, I haven't read yet about any suggestions, tips, cautions, etc. for a female traveling alone in DR. I will be in Puerto Plata at an AI (I thought this would be the simplest way for the first go). I would like to step out of the resort and see the "real" DR, but am not sure how to go about it alone. My Spanish is VERY minimal as high school was some time ago :)

I, too, am dissatisfied with the way the US has conducted itself overseas and at home and have researching several countries over the past few years for possible retirement. The DR had not come up before, but may be a possibility. I do not kid myself about the challenges that could present themselves. No place is complete paradise, but I have faced life's challenges before and am a pretty tenacious character. I am presently a small business owner (have been for 9 years), not being the type of person who does well in a traditional company setting nor do I take direction well from incompetent bosses. Hence, being in business for myself.

I have much to explore with all of you, but my first is to make the most of my (hopefully), first trip to the DR. All suggestions, recommendations, etc. will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your frankness :)

Tondra

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Welcome to the board Tondra. Hopefully you'll get a chance to see more of the island than just the AI.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
When are you going? Which AI are you going to be staying at? I will be in Sosua 12-25 to 1-6. If you are going to be in town we are having a Christmas dinner on 12-25 at 6pm at Rockys Bar/Restaurant in Sosua which is located on Calle Dr. Rosen. It is just a cab ride away. We are also having a New Years Eve Party at Rockys as well. Supposedly the best party on the North Coast.

One last thing, if you are dissatisfied about the way the US government handles it self at home and abroad you won't be happy in the DR since Corruption and Graft is the NORM instead of the occassional occurance.

In Sosua and Cabarete I find the streets to be completely safe and not unusual to see single women walking alone at night. I don't spend much time in Puerto Plata and cant advise you there.

Escott

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There should be a lot going on at your hotel. If the hotel you are staying at is in the Playa Dorada complex outside Puerto Plata, there will be even more since you can also enjoy many of the activities offered at the other hotels in the complex. It is not beyond the realm of possibility you will meet one or more women who will be interested in exploring with you.

I assume that your explorations will largely be during the day; you will have no trouble. We live in Sosua and my wife often goes into Puerto Plata on her own in public transportation and doesn't think twice about doing so.

There are plenty of taxis looking for business no matter where you go, but there is also public transportation that will get you to places like Sosua and Cabarete for much less. What are called guaguas are vans in which there is always room for one more. The publicos are public cars which can have up to 7 passengers, 4 in back and 2 in front with the driver. This is how my wife travels, and whenever possible she pays for both front seats so that she has more comfort. From Sosua to Puerto Plata in a public is RD$15/person, so she pays RD$30. At present rate of exchange, this is about US$1.50. By comparison, the taxi charges RD$300.

In addition to walking around Puerto Plata, you should plan to visit both Sosua and Cabarete. No problem seeing either on your own. These are the "real DR" because of the tourist influence, but it is much closer to this than your hotel complex.

Although there may be nothing in the archive about traveling alone, there is a lot of information on Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata, as well as how to get around. All this information is applicable to you even though you are a woman traveling solo.

The most trouble you are likely to have will be with the sankis at the resort who want to romance you. You'll find a lot in the archives about them,also.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
I will be coming to Villas Doradas February 18-25. Sorry I will miss the parties. Sounds great!

Yes, maybe I will hook up with some other single women traveling. If not, now knowing how to travel between towns, I will definitely check out the two towns Ken mentioned.

So I need to watch out for the Sankis, huh? Well, not much concern there as I am not traveling looking for romance. Are they very persistent? If so, I guess I had better brush up on some Spanish phrases that will get my point across without offending. Any suggestions?

I was curious if the native DR's have been trained in massage therapy? I didn't see much mention of this service at many AI's.

If there is anyone who will be in Puerto Plata during the time I am there, I would love to hook up, even briefly, to put faces to names. This is also my first trip outside the U.S. as well. I am very much looking forward to the time away from all that is familiar.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Don't knoow much about that side of the island. But I came to Santo Domingo my first time alone. Had no clue where I was going and where I was staying and I had no trouble. Just don't go into areas that you don't feel comfortable in. Just like walking in USA. Don't wear gold. I always carry "boob" money incasae robbed but in the 3 years I've been coming here nothing bad has happened. Grasias a Dios!
My fav phrase I learned is (maybe its not spelt correctly) Quintas sus manos sucious de me estupido!" But alwauys said it with a smile. Got some laughs and noone bothered me!
*By the way its " get your dirty hands off me stupid"

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tondra said:

So I need to watch out for the Sankis, huh? Well, not much concern there as I am not traveling looking for romance. Are they very persistent? If so, I guess I had better brush up on some Spanish phrases that will get my point across without offending. Any suggestions?

I was curious if the native DR's have been trained in massage therapy? I didn't see much mention of this service at many AI's.

Yes, sankis are persistent. You are most likely to meet them at your hotel since that is where they hang out looking for women to sweet talk into sex and/or out of money and/or out of help in getting a visa to the US or Canada. You can read all about them in the archives since they are a subject that is discussed often. They are very smooth and very persistent. You will have a good time with them; just don't take them too seriously. They are one of the attractions at the AIs

There are a couple of places offering masage in Sosua; I assume they are legitimate, but haven't tested them. Don't know if they have any training

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Tondra
1st Welcome to the board.
Just a little correction sankies dont hang around your hotel they work there as activitys staff if they dont work there they cant get in.They will however be in every disco you go to.Give me a holler when you arrive I am sales manager at the Flamenco Beach Resort right next door to Villas Dorada maybe I can give you a few tips.
Regards
Johnny
P.S.I hope you arent expecting a quality resort as V.D. is on the low end scale.Make sure you get a room on the second floor the ground floor ones flood when it rains.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Listen to Johnny

Johnny pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Watch out for those guys at your hotel. If you want to hang with some people that have been around the block a few times, maintain contact with those who have already responded in this thread. They're all good people who won't want anything from you. You'll be very comfortable with them.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
handling sankies

Here are some useful Spanish words to use in reply to the sweet talking sankies:
1. No Quiero un hombre = I don't want a man
2. Tengo esposo bien = I have a good husband
3. Tengo un novio = I have a boyfriend
4. No Speeeekie de Spaneeee
5. No Gracias = no thanks
These guys are "Rico Suave" and they will make you smile when they turn on thier charms. They are the best entertainment on the island. They should just make recordings of the lines they use and sell them on the beach. Actually, if you would like to learn a good example you could read the thread that Jan started about never finding a man in the DR. The reponses remind me of groveling sankies. AHHHHHHHHHHH
Have fun!

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
Re: handling sankies

dulce said:
Here are some useful Spanish words to use in reply to the sweet talking sankies:
2. Tengo esposo bien = I have a good husband

This sounds like Spanglish to me. In Spanish: "Tengo un buen esposo." :laugh:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Funny Dulse. I was thinking the same. Now I just tell the men here "no hey american dollars no mas. No tengo nada en USA. Yo vivo aqui en republica dominicana por siempre. Dios mio, dominicanos!"(with that famous back hand flip of the wrist). My spanish is bad but they get the idea that theyer getting nothing from me.
The esposo thing doesn't work very well. But when you tell them your not buying them a beer and they can buy you one they usually go!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Great feedback from all of you! Thanks for the tip about getting a room on the second floor--will do :) I also much appreciate the short Spanish phrases that should take care of the "attention." I will try to commit them ALL to memory as well as others to add to my small repertoire of Spanish.

I will definitely look you up Johnny. It will be good to have someone close by who knows the ropes. I also was expecting the hotel to not be the best in the world as the prices are so cheap, but they fit my meager budget.

I will admit I was a bit apprehensive about this trip, but all of you have helped me to feel it should be just fine. If you have any other tips about the hotel, send them on. All of this is great info.

I have a friend who was born in the DR, but does not want to talk much about it. Bad memories, I guess. Her family "escaped" to the US in the 1960's. She did say the people were warm and friendly and the land was beautiful.

I look forward to meeting any of you who are in the Puerto Plata area at the time of my visit.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tondra

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Spanglish

earosemena, Yo no hablar Espanol.(that is another one of my get rid of the sankie lines) I speak Spanish with a Boston accent and I sound like a Kennedy with a Spanish accent here.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Tondra
Glad we could be of help,now I suggest you research this board and learn as much as you can about this Island,you can never know enough.Just before you arrive post me a note here or e mail by hitting the button in the lower left hand corner:bandit:
Johnny

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Thank you all for your help and I will certainly research this site exhaustively when things have settled down here. After getting off the net last night, I had a call telling me my father hah just had a stroke. So.......I may not be on the board for a while.
Thanks again.

Tondra

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
Re: Spanglish

dulce said:
earosemena, Yo no hablar Espanol.(that is another one of my get rid of the sankie lines) I speak Spanish with a Boston accent and I sound like a Kennedy with a Spanish accent here.
With a name like Dulce I though you were Hispanic. Don't worry we speak Spanglish in Miami, that's how I recognized it. :laugh:
By the way I LOVE Boston!:classic: