2 months stay

S-Lancaster

Dec 18, 2002
www.glen-net.ca
My travel agent suggested I look at the DR . I am requesting info as to the availability (and perhaps the advisability) of spending a couple of months there in winter. Not at an A1 resort, of course. [I don't speak spanish]. Can anyone advise ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No problem with availability and "advisability" is in the eyes of the beholder. You say not at AI. Does this mean you will be staying at a non-AI resort, or are you thinking about renting a house or condo? Have you given any thought to what part of the island you might prefer? There are differences between the major areas; depends on what you like to do and what you are looking for. For example, do you want to be on a beach or in a big city like Santo Domingo or Santiago? The fact that you don't speak Spanish shouldn't keep you away.

There is a lot of information readily available on this website. Click on "Travel" at the top of this page and it will lead you to a great deal of information about each of the areas. Also the archives are packed with information.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Once you have an area in mind run some searches with the area as a keyword (ie. Juan Dolio, Sosua,Boca Chica) also apartments for rent etc. Lots of good info in the archives.
Then come back with some specific questions and we'll do our best to answer them.
We have friends coming down for a month in Feb. and we're renting an apt near the golf course for them....so 2 months is very doable!!

S-Lancaster

Dec 18, 2002
www.glen-net.ca
Thank you very kindly for your help. I shall do a bit more research into the "area" of DR and if you don't mind I'll try to get back to you. (I'm not v.good with computer stuff so I am all over the place with this here program).
I'm 68 and retired. Looking for a relatively quiet, safe place on a nice beach where I can do nothing but naval gaze.
S.

pinky

Dec 3, 2002
Hey There S-Lancaster, this is your travel agent, glad to see you took my advise. The people on this board are very knowledgable and helpful. I registered on this site a few weeks ago asking some specific golf info for some clients and got back some very helpful responses. I now find I am addicted to reading about the DR and can't wait till my next visit there, which will be my 5th. This time I will definitely take the advise that these folks recommend and ditch the All Inclusive and travel around a bit.
Good luck in your quest and Merry Christmas to all.
Cindy(AKA Pinky)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Then you should definitely check out Juan Dolio also......not much around but beach, and babes. Definitely quiet!!

S-Lancaster

Dec 18, 2002
www.glen-net.ca
Dear Kind Ken and Mommc, I shall indeed follow up on your recommendations. Should I find one of the proposed destinations to be attractive (to me) do you have any suggestions as to my addresses to accomodations? For instance I suppose there are chalets, or apartments or houses to let ? Also, IF you have any personal knowledge of renting, just how much should I expect to pay....roughly ?
Thank you once again for you kind attention to my enquiry.
S.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You will find rates generally cheaper on the North Coast however there is a premium to pay for being close to Santo Domingo,San Pedro La Romana. Rents in the Juan Dolio area go from about $400US / month up for a two bedroom apartment depending on the quality and location. I know there are units in our building (about 300 mtrs from the beach with ocean views) that rent for $5-600 US /month depending on length of stay. If you'd like to PM me I'll give you the email address of an administrator for several buildings that you can contact for further info.