Traveling Solo in March

beach bum

Dec 18, 2002
I am coming down to D.R in March. I am going to be traveling by myself and staying for about a year. I will be landing in Purto Plata. I need some help on where would be a good place to live. I also will be looking for a job. I would love to get in touch with someone who is down there or will be down there at that time. I want to make the best of this year. I would love to travel around with someone so we can discover new things togeather or maybe you can show me a few things to help me out. I'm starting to get nervous. I have only been there once and it was just at an all inclusive resort. Any information would help out greatly, thanks alot. Should I be getting a work visa?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why are you coming for a year, beach bum?

No need to get a work visa, especially since you don't have a job. In the archives you will find a lot of information. Do a search for "work search" without the quotes. You will learn that getting a job is difficult at best, but that your chances will be better if you have specific skills to offer. Also, do you speak Spanish?

beach bum

Dec 18, 2002
I plan to just go down there to work and travel. I am from Canada and just want to take a year off to enjoy life. I want to learn as much as I can when I'm down there. I know a little spanish. For a job I don't really care what I do, just as long as I make enough money to live off of. I am a Veterinary Technicion here in Canada, so I have quite a bit of experience with animals.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are tons of animals in the DR...All kinds of Perros Viralatas "Stray Dogs", all kinds of Motoconchistas...Ooops...Did I say that? Sorry to make light of your thread...
Make sure you have enough money to live for at least 4-5 months, as getting a job is not that easy.