Will it ever end???

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
From todays news...

US$17.2 million more for signs already paid for?

The contract has been awarded to the Spanish firm of Ingetec Europa, which is being described as a ?ghost company? for its dubious merits in the industry. Ingetec Europa has no track record of previous sign installation nor has it performed any kind of construction work in the past. Interestingly enough, however, the company has the same address in Spain as four other companies that have obtained profitable contracts from the Dominican government: Eurofinsa (US$49.1 million), Riogersa (US$106.9 million), Suministros y Equipamientos Medicos Vitaria (US$26.9 million) and CCL Peninsular (US$20.9 million).

US$221 million in total. Not bad for a company with no employees and a brass plaque as an address.

Let them eat yucca!

Apr 26, 2002
Diario Libre reports today that the Dominican consulate in Miami feels that the FBI have unlawfully failed to permit Dominican government officials from meeting with the two arrrested Dominican pilots being held in the Broward County jail. Hmm, why wouldn't the FBI want the PRD and the pilots to be in contact with each other?

Maybe the Santo Domingo District Attorney will resolve the matter by letting the FBI know that the matter is "correctional" and not "criminal".

Has the PRD entangled the FBI and DEA? If so, this might get interesting.

Apr 26, 2002
More likely the PRD wants the pilots to get their stories straight. It sure would be a shame if some unfortunate accident befell one of their family members back in the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Would somebody please "Pinch" me,I must be dreaming!

So this it what it feels like to be "Living" in a Robert Ludlum Novel.Does anyone really care?Is the PRD a runaway train,going downhill at 500 miles an hour with the Engineer Hipolito throwing more "fuel" into the firebox everyday? "Look Out,"CURVES AHEAD!" "NO BRAKES!" "Everyone out of the way!" The Dominican economy is about to be the first victim of the "PRD" caused train wreck!!! Think how great things could be if the Government was not stealing more than 50% of the GNP of the Country,and also "borrowing" so that they can also "Steal" the FUTURE!!!!! "What A Country"!!!!!!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why should it end?

The Dominican Republic is always following it's mentor, the USA, so why should they stop now? We have so many big money crooks in the USA now it isn't funny. These crooks are Hippo's hero's. Hippo reads the news of the USA featuring corporate stealing and plays follow the leader. Look at Enron, Worldcom, and more plus now the stock market leaders and tell me do you see any of those bastards in jail? NO, but you do see thier employee's have lost life savings, retirement accounts, houses,cars,medical insurance,income. The people who made the money for the big boys for all these years are back to the same economic level that they started at. Most important they have lost faith and hope in "The American Way". You don't see Bernie Evans ( Worldcom's crook) losing his biggest mansion which is being built as I type. What makes you think Hippo and his crooks are in fear of losing so much as a piece of bread? Crooks of this magnitude can't lose because money does talk. Let a poor person try to steal food to survive and they will to fear jail time. To prevent myself from getting uclers from this situation I remember to accept the things in life that I have no control over and no power to change. I lost my career, not to mention tons of money, in the telecommunications business because of all these crooks but life will go on for me. Worldcom can steal my money but not my heart, spirit and soul. Let Bernie Evans die and rot in Hell after living in luxury. I will pass my life in peace knowing I hurt no one along the way. I am going to play the lottery now. LOL

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

In reality, a lot of enron executives have gone to jail, and many more from the aforementioned companies are under indictment, about time

It sounds as though you got burned in the market Dulce?

either way, I think the subject was the Dominican problem, not the US.

My question: I really know very little of the Dominican economy (Just differences that have cost me in vacations ober the past 7 years). Could or would someone be willing to spell out in layman's terms, without opinion or editorializing, what is happening in the DR since the beginning if the year and what you feel may be the long AND short termn result?

Is there likely to be gas lines, food shortages, rioting, demonstartions etc?

Thank you

Frank Coyne

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Old_BUFF_Driver said:
In reality, a lot of enron executives have gone to jail..

I don't think that is correct. Only 1 , maybe two, (I don't keep close track) of the Enron excecs went to jail. In fact, of ALL the execs who did the plundering in the USA, only a handful actually were sentenced to jail.

Just yesterday, a handful of financial companies were fined 1.5billion dollars. They did not fine the individuals execs, therefore these fines will be paid out on the backs of the shareholders of these companies (look for special charges and writedowns in the next few quarterly reports).....sooooo, the thiefs got away scott free, again.

People in power steal everywhere around the world. The DR just happens to now the the most eggregious example.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was talking DR

"either way, I think the subject was the Dominican problem, not the US."
My point is that Hippo and his thugs know they can get away with anything because they copy USA businessmen.
UMMM and yeah I did get burnt, so should I be happy about that? I have empathy for the Dominican people more so now because I understand they can do nothing to stop the crooks. I do not believe any of the assholes are in jail. If by chance they picked a lower level fall guy, you can bet he is in a special jail for white collar criminals and not eating bread and water.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
dulce,

congratulation that this crook B. Ebbers couln't break your sense of humor.
Let him take care of himself and I hope you winn the lottery. X

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
winning the lottery or not

I say f***ck em' I am going to the DR for the months of January and Febuary and soak up the sun. I won't read a newspaper or listen to the world's problems. Bring on the hot Dominican men, the rum, the Presidente, (beer that is) and yo no tengo problema!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Dulce I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that the pillaging has been going on long before there was even any hint of Enron and gang.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
never ending story

That's true techie but in the past I was not so personally effected by other's actions. Maybe this is just my excuse for moving back to the DR. I have lived there before and since I have been back in the states all I think about is moving back to the island. It was my intention to wait until Hippo was out of office but I don't want to wait anymore. You are young so you have many more years to work and recover from these crooks effects. I went through the "20 year Plan" once already and don't have 20 more years to recover so I will take the easy road out and live a simplified life in the DR and be happy.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Another "western" comparison

Once again the US is to blame for the DR's problems, and the DR is being compared to a first world nation. Although well spoken, the posts are insane. The "oh yeah? Well you do it too" routine just doesn't cut the mustard.

The primary difference, I suppose, is that "businessmen/bandits" in first world nations do not pilfer to a point that the nation declares bankruptcy. Our systems do not allow it. The DR is well on its way, I see no way around it.

The corruption and thievery in the DR government is measured on a completely different scale than any first world nation. You can throw out the Enron/Worldcom examples, but they are but two, and only recently have come to light. Canadian politicians have to resign for calling Bushy a "moron". Can you see that happening in the DR? I don't think so. They are organized crime, and cannot be stopped.

This is nothing my typing fingers are going to fix, so off to the fridge for a Christmas beer. ;)

m

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Re: winning the lottery or not

dulce said:
I say f***ck em' I am going to the DR for the months of January and Febuary and soak up the sun. I won't read a newspaper or listen to the world's problems. Bring on the hot Dominican men, the rum, the Presidente, (beer that is) and yo no tengo problema!

Hey Dulce, just be careful you dont get hit by lighting twice. You got screwed by your pal Bernie Evans and if you are not careful enough you mught get screwed by our SANKIES!!! hehehehe

TW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dulce & mondongo, I believe you have assumed far too soon that nothing is going to happen to the CEOs of Enron and Worldcom. The mayor and New Jersey Congressman recently locked up didn't go from their exhaulted positions to their jail cells in a blink of an eye. These things take time. The prosecutors are working hard to complete their cases against both CEOs and I'm confident that in the course of time both will go to prison.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
DR's mess won't end

Hippo is the only one to blame for the DR mess. Since he will never be held responsible for it it will not end. I was simply using an anology to make a point about where he may get his ideas of how to steal from his country and get away with it. I hope the economy there does not get so bad that it goes bankrupt like some other 3rd world countries.

SHHHHHHHH Golo don't you dare tell those sankies that I have no money to pay them! Hey, wait a minute, you got money maybe you could pay me to get screwed.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ken, if you look at the punishment that has been historically doled out to financial white collar criminals in Wall Street, I believe that the number of them who have gone to jail over the last 30 years is in the single digits. Maybe this time will be different and they will get what they deserve.

marc, you do not have your facts straight. its not just enron and Worldcom..its global crossing.. its tyco...its Credit Sswisse First Boston, its Salomon Smith Barney, its Arthur Andersen,its Lucent technology, its Hewlett Packard, pretty much the whole freakin lot of them have had to re-state earnings (I know i'm exaggerating here).

Lets call Mr Arithmetic to this argument:

USA: directly or indirectly, Americans have lost at least US$1 trillion to these crooks. this is about 10% of GDP in the USA.

DR: the recent theft is in the order of about US$1 - US$2 billion, or 5% - 10% of GDP.

Conclusion #1: the thiefs in the USA did more damage.
Conclusion #2: the DR will be in worse shape because there does not seem to be an end to the stealing, while the problem has already been contained in the USA.