San Jose de las matas

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I could use some help regarding information on San Jose. I am traveling to Santiago airport on my next trip and will be spending some time in San Jose, you all can laugh now but I am bringing my mother along because she was there several times a long time ago, in the 1960's-70's, lol, and I finally gave in. I used the search engine here and didn't find much info. I am looking for some hotels that are mid-range in price, $60 or less that are decent. Any other interesting information regarding places to see or things to do, restaurants recommended, etc, I would really appreciate.
dale7

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Where is this town you refer to. I haven't heard of it, the first thing that comes to mind is San Jose de Ocoa and the other town called Las Matas de Faran. Then again I'm a southwestern gal (province of Azua)???

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
My mother said it is about 20 minutes from Santiago. I believe east. I may have the name mixed up, I will have to talk to her when I have the chance. It is a fairly large city and I know it is in the same (republic/state that Santiago is). I know it San Jose though.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Wrong direction

dale7 said:
My mother said it is about 20 minutes from Santiago. I believe east. I may have the name mixed up, I will have to talk to her when I have the chance. It is a fairly large city and I know it is in the same (republic/state that Santiago is). I know it San Jose though.

San Jos? de Las Matas is actually a little southwest of Santiago. Click on the link below; San Jos? is located about 1.5 inches to the southwest of Santiago.

DR Map

Enjoy your adventure! :)

Swede

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Glad to know it truely exsist. So many names out there! I was sure since you were flying into Santiago it was in that area and not in the south. Too bad though because San Jose de Ocoa is a beautiful mountainous town, unlike Las Matas de Faran which is hot, sunny and sees little rain, but close to Haitian border.

Good luck!

Now that I look at the map my Peace Corps group and I trained in Janico for about a week on diary farming. We stayed at the facilities which had bunk beds, etc. Great place and very beautiful views of the fertile country side. We were there during patronales and some of us acutally won prizes for best dancers on stage....the prize being bermudez limon rum.

Last edited:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Any info on hotels someone has stayed at and can recommend

Yes, San Jose de las matas is southwest of Santiago. If anyone is familiar with that city can someone recommend a few moderate hotels and some restaurants, I would appreciate any feedback. I will be spending 2 or 3 days in Santiago and a couple of days in San Jose, I am asking for moderate hotels because I am paying for a room for myself and for my mother, it is her birthday present and I would like to save a little money. Thank you all.
dale7

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
San jose de las matas (also known as: sajoma) is a small town about 30 mins from santiago. The road is new and very smooth which cuts down the driving time considerably. I enjoy the ride up there in early afternoon which gives me time to spend a full day in this mountainous region.
I can't tell you about the hotels in the area but I would say that I haven't seen any hotels in the main city but I would imagine you would be able to find cabanas, clean and cleap. No A/C is needed at night because the temperature becomes quite comfortable, considering you are up in the mountians. There is not really much to do there than to visit Rivers and see some site-seeing in the country side. People are very kind and girls are very beautiful there.
Have fun.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Quote from AZB(and the girls are very beautiful there)as usual you foud a way in.Cabanas are very clean and even a lot nicer than a lot of hotels however your mom may not agree,as cabanas are for rent by the short period (as in to bring your girl or a hooker)away from prying eyes.It might be better to comute from Santiago dailyor stay in Pinar Dorado in Jarabacoa very nice and reasonably priced.
John
BTW AZB you should be able to recomend the best cabanas.:cool:

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If I remember correctly there is a large hotel in the mountains just outside the town of San Jose las Matas, a lovely setting, The hotel is part of an international chain, possibly Occidental Hoteles, with self catering chalets and rooms. It seemed to have seen better days, but that may have changed by now. Sorry can't be more specific and I have no idea whether it's still there, I stayed there in January 1996, but maybe it'll jog someone else's memory.

Buen viaje,

Chirimoya

Last edited:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Thanks for some of the info

I have been researching my butt off and can only find one hotel on a website called The Mansion, over 100us a night. So I think I will stay in Santiago, take my mom to visit San Jose, check out the room situation there, or stay at a cabana. Who knows, I like to live dangerously, lol. I might end up talking my mom into staying in Santiago and I will make sure I have time to meet some pretty girls, AZB and Johny. I have never been in the north, only SD and BC area but my mom says it's beautiful there in the mountains, lakes, vegetation, etc. She used to be quite the outdoors woman and hiker. What a mom can make her son do, I gave you birth and the typical guilt routine? I will have to make sure she is entertained so I can have my own fun at times, lol. Thanks all.
dale7

FL-Hillbilly

Dec 27, 2002
Sajoma is well off the beaten path. Not a lot to do there and full of Dom-Yorkies on vacation at this time of the year. Lots of bachata, car washes and merengues.
Probably a few good places to eat, but I think you will be better off doing a commute to San Jose befor going there to overnight.

Another topic: Peace Corps training in Janico? Gringos wining a dance prize??? For what? Jumping bean polka??
Jeez, we got to train in PR, running upand down mountains. rapelling off dams, rock climbing and trekking and then all the honies at the UPR!! Beer at 25 cents!! You got took....

HB

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Don't get us wrong HB we did hard work during the day but during patronales you know you also get to play hard....we won ron for dancing and singing along with the band... at least that is how I remember it after a few too many presidentes.

Our group had our share of running up mountains pushing camiones that would break down or get stuck in the mud?

That's why it's the thoughest job you'll ever love!

I have to admit, so far since my PC years there is nothing to compare to the experience.