Late arrival in La Romana

stang1

Dec 24, 2002
We just booked our flight to the D.R. and are very excited but haven't had much time to plan. We arrive in La Romana on Saturday (that's right, 4 days from now) at about 11:00 at night. We are thinking we'd enjoy staying in Bayahibe. We are not interested in AI and hope to meet locals, not other tourists. I have reviewed this board and everyone seems so helpful so I'm hoping you can help me out with a couple of questions:

1. Should we stay the first night in La Romana?
Considering our late arrival, would it be best to stay a night in La Romana or should we just grab a cab and head straight to Bayahibe? If we do take a cab to Bayahibe, any idea about how much it will cost? Of course, if we stay the night in La Romana, we will grab a gua gua (sp?) in the morning.

2. Any hotel recommendations?
In Bayahibe or La Romana (if you think we should spend our first night there). We would want to spend between $35 and $50 US/night. Not fussy but would like a clean place with a private bath. Definately not interested in large tourist hotels. Have enjoyed homestays in other countries but don't know if that's a choice in the D.R.

3. Is Bayahibe a good choice?
Would you recommend a different location? We would like snorkelling and a nice beach to relax on but not a lot of tourists. The opportunity to rent a boat would be great or do some kayaking. We are most interested in improving our Spanish, learning as much as we can about the country and relaxing a little bit. Unfortunately, we are only able to stay for 6 days so won't be able to visit much of the country.

Thank you for any advice you can give us. It sounds like a fantastic country and if the people there are anything like the helpful people on this board I'm sure we'll have a great time!

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
Hi, my name is Sharron and I have not posted on this board before, but have been reading it for a while and found lots of very helpful information and entertaining posts.

I came back from my last trip to Bayahibe last week and plan going to live there next March. The reason for deciding to post is that I think that most of the regular people who post on this board are not from this part of the country.

At 11 o'clock at night you will need to grab a cab whether you stay in La Romana or Bayahibe. La Romana airport is on the outskirts of La Romana towards Bayahibe. It is a 20 minute drive and I negotiated US$25. You can't miss the cabs, the airport is very small and as you come out the door you will see beige coloured cars or mini bus type vehicles, just waive in their direction and the guy organising them will come to your assistance. The one I met spoke perfect English and then told the driver where to take me.

Bayahibe has numerous AI resorts, but I did manage to find a couple of local hotels in the main part of town. The AI resorts are on the outskirts of the town, which is not very big and there were very few tourists. Tell the guy organising the cabs at the airport what you want and he'll sort it for you (that's what I did).

Both the hotels I stayed in were basic, but clean and had their own bathroom, although neither have hot running water, just cold, the cost for the room at one was $400 a night the other $500. I'm really sorry I can't remember their names. But both hotels were happy to show me the rooms before I booked in.

I too was hoping to practice a bit of Spanish, but as soon as I started talking to anyone and they realised that I was English, they all wanted to practice their English. Friendly though and I had a good time.

The beach is white, the sea perfectly blue and there are lots of boats, although I didn't see any kayaks. Bayahibe is the main place for trips to Saona and I am sure that you could organise some excellent snorkelling, I did. There are signs along the beach for snorkelling trips and they are relatively cheap. Just check where they take you and how much time you get to actually snorkel.

I hope I have been of some help, and that some of the other posters will be able to add to these basics.

Have fun

stang1

Dec 24, 2002
Thanks for the advice, Sharron and Hlywud! An off-white beach will be much better than this pure white snow!