north or south

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
http://www.geocities.com/soon_free2002/soon_free2002.html (just a bit west of Juan Dolio)
I've only ventured to the north coast once, Nagua and Las Terrenas. Seems like most posters here seem to prefer the north and I wonder why. My reason for the south was being close to the larger airport and financial center plus there's a Harley shop in SD. Only been here a year and a half, still lots to learn. Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are also much closer to the hurricanes.

I have always lived on the North Coast and am happy here. If I weren't, I'd check out the South Coast, but as it is, I don't know enough about that area to make a comparison. If I need an airport, POP is close at hand, much easier to get to, I'm sure, than the SD airport is for you. I have no need to be near the "financial center", the banks and other financial services we have are more than sufficient for my needs. We do go to Santo Domingo occasionally for some medical services, but otherwise all our needs are met in our region if not our location.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I personally prefer the North coast but I cannot give any reason except I feel more at home than on the south,I lived 2 years in Boca Chica but I have no desire to live anywre except Los Jaliscos Sosua,we have everything we need here without the hustle bustle of a large city.Everyone should try a few different options then choose what suits their needs.
Johnny:cool:

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
One of my wife's apprehensions about the DR is the hurricanes. Since most of them hook up from the south east, is the north coast hit less often then the south?

Bruce

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, north coast has a much better record. If your wife wants to be as safe as it is possible to be, and also on the ocean, then Cabarete/Sosua/Puerto Plata would be a good choice. The greatest chance of hurricanes in the DR is in August-October, but they have also occured in June, July, and November.

A Nony Mouse

Jan 13, 2003
dominicanresorts.com
North vs, South

I lived seven years on the North coast, in and around Puerto Plata and seven years in the south in San Pedro de Macorix and Juan Dolio area. My answer to your questionis going to be subjective, but I prefer the North, specifically Puerto Plata, and returned here from the South when I retired.

Puerto Plata now has three large supermarkets and you can get almost anything you want without going to Santiago which is about the same distance as Santo Domingo is from Juan Dolio, so proximity to a large commercial center shouldn't be a serious consideration. The scenery around Puerto Plata is much prettier than the South due to the mountains here. The South coast is flat, hotter, and more hurricane prone as I found out when Georges passed over my home and over my place of work. The resort was in Bayahibe and it took months to rebuild.

Juan Dolio and Boca Chica are tiny communities and you will see the same few people every day plus tourists. San Pedro is a relatively poor Dominican city with very few expats. At least that was the case four years ago when I left there. Puerto Plata has several fine residential areas as well as more modest housing. There is something for every budget. There are some Harley's around as well.

Here are some pics of Puerto Plata:

http://dominicanresorts.com/POPViews.htm

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since I live in Santiago, I am more prone to favor the North Coast.
There is better water, for i have never had good water inthe south, it is always salty.... you are certainly close to major International airports-heck, people from the north of Santo Domingo are finding that it is easier to use the Santiago airport than Las Americas!! And it is friendlier.
Shopping is not a problem, nor health care. In the South, everything is Santo Domingo. Oh, by the by, Santiago isnow the largest city in the DR. Santo Domingo split up and so no longer can claim the title....hehehe

HB

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I'll be back in a week to meet my daughter and do a bit of whale watching at Samana. Reading the various threads make me think I should look at the north coast more thoroughly even though I love my home at Juan Dolio (i'm a hermit at times). Would any of you north coasters send me your phone numbers so I can call ya, meet ya and eat, drink and be merry with ya. I'm available after the 23rd.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The south has the Better beaches, the culture, the Nightlife, the much better looking women, Better class of Dominican and a better class of tourist.

The North has..............Nothing to make me want to go back there!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OOOOhhhh, I'd like to take a swipe at that one Tony....but you like your part and I love my part. Beaches?? Give me a break!
Better looking women? Let Golo answer that!!

Anyway the good thing is the choice....

I think I'll PM the guy and see...

HB

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
HillBilly.

Come on dude! Take you best shot!

Sosua has been going downhill since the mid 80's. Puerto Plata never was! Cabarete ZZZZZZZZZZZ. I'll give you Samana for beauty but what else.

Now when it comes to the women. The North is Skank land!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tony C said:
The south has the Better beaches, the culture, the Nightlife, the much better looking women, Better class of Dominican and a better class of tourist.

The North has..............Nothing to make me want to go back there!

I couldnt agree less. Boca Chica beach isn't any nicer than Sosua beach nor as challenging for sporting as Cabarete beach. Lets not even discuss the quality of the water. The women in Boca Chica were as ugly as I have ever run into anywhere in the country. Maybe I would agree on Culture and possibly nightlife in the Capitol.

North Coast is where you want to be to avoid the natural disasters such as hurricanes. I was there when Cuba got knocked on its ass and all I had was rain at night and sun during the day. Rain wasn't nearly as inconvientent as the Hurricane that tore apart Cuba.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
TonyC, the girls from cibao (santiago, moca, la vega) are the best looking women you will find on this island. Girls from capital are ugly and the ones you see are good looking are the onces from cibao. Just ask where she was born or where her parents came from.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Eddy.

I know they are your girls but if that is the best the North coast has to offer then my point is validated.

Jazz

There is more to the south than Boca Chica.

Goat Lover

There are some fine looking women from the Cibao but to say the the women in the capital are ugly shows that you either don't go to Santo Domingo or are just ignorant!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Goat Lover? hahahaha.
Lets see who smells like a goat? Judging from the fat belly you have in your foto (hiding behind, not one, but 3 girls to cover up the gut) I wonder if you are able to wipe your ass after doing the daily task? I mean, its humanly impossible to reach that low unless you have gorilla arms. OOOOOO, I would hate to sit next to you in an airplane for even 5 minutes. No wonder dominicans clap when the plane lands, they just can't get over the fact that the plane took off in the first place (having you on board) and now home free from the tortuous smell.
So i guess its better to be a goat lover than a blubber lover. I wonder what type of a pig would hang out with you, let alone a south coast girl.
Oh, by the way. Have a nice day.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be careful what you say about "Big Bellies" AZB

After seeing your picture,I would guess you to be about 37 years old.I see the "seeds" of a "Beer Belly" already sprouting over your "Gucci-Knock off" belt. Lets not forget that you will not only have a huge "Michelin",you will also have your "Calvo" head to wow the "Models",and "University Students" you date! Anyone who says that the most beautiful girls come from Santiago,La Vega ,and Moca,might as well be saying that they don't like dark skin girls! I like girls like the ones at "Eddy's". The one in the middle is my "TYPE"! She has the nicest breasts I have ever come upon!!!CRIS

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If they go for you, I guess I would still have some hope when I reach there. Anyway, I like eddy's girls. They are all cute. I would like to marry one of them every week.
Anyway, I like all colors as long as they are clean and educatedly beautiful.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a shower,hot water,and soap in my apt.!!!

As for;"Educatedly Beautiful",I don't have a ******* clue what that means! I'll settle for firm "T&A" and a long tongue!!!! Or "Stupidly Beautiful"!CRIS