With a quick hello..

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
..to everyone out there!

Just joined your community today and look forward to interacting with you on many a thread. At first glance, it looks like a very interesting place -- .

Originally from Spain, I'd been away from the DR for over ten years -- time spent in the US -- and have only recently made my return. Although I have fond memories of the many years spent here in the past, time does not pass for naught and I find myself at a bit of a lost in what is, in essense, a "new" Santo Domingo. I am sure that the fact I am no longer the party animal I used to be has something to do with it ;)

Anyhow, glad to be here, hopefully I'll be able to contribute something worthwhile now and again, but even if I can't, I am sure I'll learn a thing or ten from all of you fine folks out there.

And that's good enough for me.

Season's best!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Welcome to our little group,Im sure things will come back quickly as it hasnt changed a whole lot in 10 years.
Johnny:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome, it will be interesting on getting your slant on things given your previous experience in the DR.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Thanks for the welcome, guys -- and gal. Much appreciated.

As far as "changes," what's struck me the most is the incredible number of business that have cropped-up all over the place. The upside? Not having to hop on a plane to get your Mickey Dee's fix ;) Still, for a Third World nation, I don't understand where everyone gets all the money to A-start these businesses and/or B-shop there. Well, maybe I do have an inkling, but that's a whole 'nother thread as all the corruption I left behind seems to be doing as well as it ever had....if not better.

Oh well, at least I'm out of the rat race. And planning on staying out -- in that sense, this place seems as well suited as any.

Last edited:

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Well, no doubt the "keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome is doing quite well here -- especially the higher up in society you go. From kids to adults, they are like walking billboards of all that's trendy, from cars to clothes to jewelry to the latest tech toys, they just have to have it..and show it off. Guess that's half the fun.

I recently spent a weekend in Casa de Campo and felt like I landed in the middle of a popularity contest to see who was the coolest/richest, most vapid idiot in the place (likely the one with the biggest boat). But really, no different from hundreds of other places like it all over the world, albeit the gap between the haves and have-nots, makes it all that much more striking. Takes all of ten minutes to leave the resort and see how 99% of Dominicans really live.

Me? I'm quite content somewhere in between squalor and yachts -- a dingy would be just fine. Just a quiet lifestyle, with a few pesos to get bye, a well stocked library, Internet access, time to write some of my musings a few select people to solve the world's problems with. Oh yeah, and definitely NO bosses.

You know, live by my 'OwnRules' -- kind of what I've always done ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "Fresh Breeze" is blowing on DR1!!!!!!!

A "Spanish Breeze!" A Voice of Reason TOO! Nice to hear from you.Your finger is already very much on the "pulse" of the Dominican Republic!!Please tell me that you bath every day (not the norm on the Iberian Peninsula!)and I will welcome you to the OPEN Forum,"General Section"! CRIS

Last edited:

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Re: A "Fresh Breeze" is blowing on DR1!!!!!!!

Criss Colon said:
Please tell me that you bath every day (not the norm on the Iberian Peninsula!)and I will welcome you to the OPEN Forum,"General Section"! CRIS

Hmm...not sure how I can defend myself against said charges on a BB. Well, now that I think about it, there is one way I can prove I make regular use of indoor plumbing facilities -- provided you have the latest Internet technologies that is. See, there's this new "scratch 'n sniff" software, not unlike what they've used in fragance ads in magazines for years, that allows the end user to do just that with the following picture.

Mind you, not that I am into guys sniffing me -- not that there's anything wrong with that -- but hey...you did sort of ask ;)

MyPics%2FDomA2.jpg

As you can see, I don't need to spend much on hair products, but on soap, I assure you I spare no expenses.

Anyhow, thanks for the contingent welcome, trust I've passed your 'Spaniard Cleanliness Exam 101' and can now proceed to other parts of the Forum.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A sense of humour, the ability to put a reasoned sentance together AND over thirty years of age ...... YOU will be a GREAT addition to this & other forums of DR1.

WELCOME - Grahame.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Thank you, Grahame -- especially for being so lax in appraising my age. My thirties are starting to become a distant memory as I am in the final approach to the mid-century mark, a runway which, with any luck, I'll be landing in, in only four vertiginous years. Which is just my long-winded way of saying that I am 46. Either that, or early warning signs that I am starting to ramble and senility can't be far behind :confused:

As far as being a "great addition" to DR1, that remains to be seen, but what I do know is that you lot are a terrific source of information for all things regarding this island. And I know that because I took the better part of last night to read through many a thread in the "Living" section of the Board -- including some searches of the archived threads. While some of the advice being dispensed to the newbies and Island Paradise dreamers might seem harsh at first reading, there's no denying that with the accumulated wealth of experience and knowledge of those dispensing it, it is also largely realistic and sobering. What is they say about people not wanting to hear anything that doesn't fit their preconceptions? Really, I should know, as I am presently engaged in building my own castle in the sky* Then again, how does one balance ideals and dreams with reality? Seems to me, a plunge, at some point, becomes a requisite.

That you guys are here providing what amounts to a depth-chart, is simply terrific -- and likely a lifesaver to more than a few. So, in essence, it is my thanks that go out to all of you.

Name's Javier on this end. Pleased to meet you.

*Not sure where I am headed, but I am well on my way. Just trying to enjoy the ride.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
PS-As a bit of an amateur sleuth, the name 'Grahame' strikes me as distinctly British -- not to mention that I also read in other threads that you are indeed, a Queen's subject -- and I am having a hard time reconciling it with your moniker. Not much of a Bush lover myself and curious about your choice.

Anything to do with that in/famous Briton dry wit?

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
A Bush Baby is...

Grahame please put her out of her misery and tell her what an adorable little furry creature a Bush Baby is...

If you can spare the time perhaps you could bring the missus along with you to meet us at the Britania Pub after 1/4/03???? JH said he would be there...or Eddy's or Rocky's where Jazzcom said he would be???? Not sure why JH and Jazz can't get it together and agree to meet at the same place....or perhaps we get to do all 3 places....

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
HQB

Thanks to you, I've now managed to solve the 'BushBaby Mystery' -- Poirot must be quaking in his boots.

Not yet convinced this thing is "adorable" though:

bush_baby_small.jpg

BTW, I may not be a tenor, but I'm definately no castratto. Which makes me a dude. (bloke in your lingo)

Cheers.

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
Just dropped in to introduce myself and say welcome to a fellow new member. I've never been to the DR before but I plan to make it there one day.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: A Bush Baby is...

[ Not sure why JH and Jazz can't get it together and agree to meet at the same place....or perhaps we get to do all 3 places.... [/B]
Because Jazz is a loud fat ugly scumbag who only can talk about sex and I cant stand his posturing and racism against any non Americans.:bandit: Actually Im pulling your leg I can meet you guys anywhere I am a known barfly in all these joints.The reason I chose Britania was to introduce you to some Brit ex pats.lol
Johnny:cool:

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Hola Negro Lindo!

Thanx for dropping in, trust you make it to the DR sooner rather than later. For a vacation, can't think of a better place -- living here's a bird of a different feather. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

Last time I did (live here), I used to bitch and moan most of the time about all the inconveniences inherent with living in a "developing nation," while overlooking the many positives, i.e., beautiful scenery, friendly people, awesome beaches, great food, etc. I am hoping that this time, having mellowed out considerably with the years, I'll make a much better go of it. So far (six months), so good.

Anyhow, much of the above probably doesn't apply to you. Like I said, for party purposes, you can't go wrong. If and when you get down here, give a holler -- or shoot me an e-mail -- and I'll show you around Santo Domingo a bit. However, if it's the nightlife you're interested in, I'm sure you'll find better hosts on this board...a certain 'Cris' comes to mind :cool:

All the best in 2003.

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
A bloke...

Apologies for the gender error....I can vaguely remember some bloke on British telly many years ago who had a Bush Baby as a pet...nice photo...

JH..I would love to meet UK expats in the Britania, and I thank you for doing me the honor of making the intros...I look forward to meeting you there...will probably have my German friends in tow, possibly an Italian too...

Jazzcom...we'll catch you at Eddy's or Rocky's...would not want you to suffer Brits needlessly...we're lost somewhere mid-Atlantic...so perhaps not quite so insufferable...at least I would like to think so...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ho Boy...

JH... I resemble that remark! I never saw a bar stool that JH hasn?t felt at home on... Matter of fact, I think I haven?t either!

Welcome to DR1 and to the OPEN Forum. Since it appears that Criss has allowed you to stay I will send my regards as well.

Seeya in the Sunshine... Some day soon I hope.

Escott

Ruth

Jan 31, 2003
oh brother

I dropped by to inquire about the standard living in the carribeans and the weather.

Actually, I wanted to make sure that some of you have heated houses or appartments during the winter. I'm from Pays Basque (North of Spain) and I was wondering what language you speak in your islands but........

SOMETHING TELLS ME THAT I AM DOOMED BECAUSE THE OWNRULES POSTER RINGS A BELL

Tell me it's a bad dream please