Translation, please

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Help, please. A guy in the DR was telling me about a gal he was in love with and he said she was "una buena embra."
I had him repeat it a few times because I'd never heard that particular term of endearment. Now I'm back home. I've looked in every dictionary I have--dominican, slang, standard--and can't find it. Just the 'embra' part; I know the other 2 words. Thanks!!!
SLM

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
That's because it should be spelled HEMBRA...

That's a female...and apparently she was good...most likely in bed...

That's what that whole "term of endearment" means...

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Geez, what a dork I am. I should have thought of that.
He even wrote it out on a napkin E-M-B-R-A. I forgot that when some people deletrea, they write like they speak, eliminating the 's' and the 'h' and changing 'r' to 'l' and so on.
Just when I think I know a few things, I realize that I've got so much further to go. Thanks a million!
SLM

ps. this doesn't really belong in the Travel section, but I can't really move it myself. Actually, I hope it doesn't get moved because hopefully fewer people will see what a gringo nerd I am :)

Last edited:

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Funny post I can not stop laughing. Hey Mike it has happened to me and I am Dominican. My word was hijases (daughters) someone asked about my three daugters to this day I laugh whenever I remember.

Lina

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Happy new year to all the DR1 papases y mamases, and anybody else I missed.
mk

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Mike, join the club re spelling & mispronounciations. Been here ten years & STILL find missing letters from words a challenge to the brain when trying to find the CORRECT words in the dictionary!! My favourite word is kina (or quina or cina/ceena) yelled all the time on the buses when people want to get off!!! Took me months to find out they were wanting the next 'corner' !!
The word should have been esquina!! - Grahame.