travel rules

najera

Dec 28, 2002
Hello,
I am 17 and am traveling to the DR next month. Reading on this board it sounds like you can stay for 3 months without problems. yet the consulate tells me that you can only stay for two months with a tourist card and to stay longer you need a visa. He also said the onlyt way to stay longer than 2 months is to return to the US and then fly back to the DR. Can anyone tell whjat they know?

Also, Some places I have read say if your under 13 you need a notarized letter from your parents while others say if your under 18 you need the letter. Does anyone know which it is?

I appreciate any help being that this is kind of last minute and I need to get this cleared up quickly.
thanks
Najera

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As far as the length of your stay is concerned, the consulate is telling you what the rules say. However, as a practical matter you have nothing to worry about. If you looked in the archives, you would see that many have and do stay for much longer periods of time than you plan. You may be assessed a very small fine when you leave before you overstayed, but the amount will be too little for you to be concerned about.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We come every year (for the last 12 anyway) on a tourist card and have never had any problems although we stay from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 months every year. We just pay the small extra "charge" when we leave! Just make sure you don't lose your tourist card copy and you won't have any problems when you turn it in as you are leaving. You may/may not be asked to pay a few pesos (150-300) extra for overstaying your tourist card!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Mommc
I plan to stay long next winter. What are you writing on Your torist card when you arrive ? Do you write down the departure date 60 days from your arrival, or the date you intend to leave ?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The tourist card doesn't ask for a departure date.......so it is filled in when leaving with departure info.
Thanks Wud......I leave Fri. PM for Toronto then at 6 AM for La Romana. Should make it to Juan Dolio around 1PM if customs goes quick. Don't know this time.....while I'm only taking my one HUMONGOUS duffle on wheels I've got an oversized golf bag carrier on wheels and my ordinary carry on, laptop,purse. Should be interesting as the carry on (which will be checked baggage due to weight restrictions) is chock full of Italian cheese and salami!!:)