Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How about photos of day to day life?

I am trying to convince my wife that moving to the DR is a good thing. One of the main problems that I am facing is that I have been doing humanitarian work with Haiti for about 5 years now. I can't get the DR and what I have told her about Haiti separated in her mind. She has seed things like "where would you buy grocery's?".

I have been able to find a lot of good photos of the countryside, resorts, and parties. I haven't been able to put together any information about the normal day to day lifestyle. For instance, a photo of the local grocery store or school.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Local to where? There is a humongous difference between living in Santo Domingo/Santiago to living in Batey al Medio or Junumucú.

Anyhoo, check the media section, you will find a link on the homepage of this site.

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

try taking her on a trip.....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Pib said. Depends if you're talking about living in a big city or in Batey. Here is Meredith's web page of what day to day life is for some people in Batey Las Pajas.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12677/index.html

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing your wife can do (assuming she is even interested in the possibility of moving to the DR) is to read the past postings in the Living and Travel sections. They don't sound like they have been written about a deprived country without grocery stores, etc.

Also, click on the orange "living" at the very top of this page. When you get there, click on the links on left side of page. This will give you info on many aspects of life in Santo Domingo, but the same applies to other areas of country in a smaller scale.

Have you considered that maybe she does not want to move to the DR and will not be convinced no matter what you say or show?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wife was dumped in the middle of Santo Domingo, she would think she was in a first world city.

Shopping malls, Mega malls, thousands of new model cars, Boutique malls, fine restaurants, Porsche dealers, Price Smart, Omaha Steaks, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc etc etc.

This might not be the USA, but it's certainly not Haiti.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

By the sounds of it Anna she sure doesnt want to live in a batey, too much like Haiti, Robert has the right idea. He could even get her to POP or Santiago to look around.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not just book a two week vacation and C'MON DOWN! Best way to see what the country is like!!
    Be sure to stay a couple days in Santo Domingo, then ride on over to Boca Chica, Juan Dolio,San Pedro, La Romana. Then head up to Santiago and Puerto Plata, Sosua. Have a look around, do some shopping (especially in SD and Santiago) and she'll have a better idea of what a third world country, with first world cities, in a tropical paradise has to offer .

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There is less difference between the major cities in the DR and a lot of cities in the USA than many people think. OK, we don't have as much access to Broadband, but DSL is available in a lot of places.
    Every town worth of the name has cable. There are grocery stores that are almost lik Publix or Cosco. Schools, Universities, Churches, beautiful highways and scenery a variety of climates-from desert to lush ( No, not CC lush, I meant flora) tropical.

It is the pace of life, the difficulty we are experimenting for the foreseeable future with public services, lights, mostly, and mentality issues which tend to annoy the hell out of new comers..

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on gwtting some fotos on a website. Keep in touch. It may be a little more time but then you can see this country through my eyes. Not saying they'er the best eyes. But they do have a different perspective to say the least!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast