How about photos of day to day life?

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I am trying to convince my wife that moving to the DR is a good thing. One of the main problems that I am facing is that I have been doing humanitarian work with Haiti for about 5 years now. I can't get the DR and what I have told her about Haiti separated in her mind. She has seed things like "where would you buy grocery's?".

I have been able to find a lot of good photos of the countryside, resorts, and parties. I haven't been able to put together any information about the normal day to day lifestyle. For instance, a photo of the local grocery store or school.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bruce

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Local to where? There is a humongous difference between living in Santo Domingo/Santiago to living in Batey al Medio or Junumuc?.

Anyhoo, check the media section, you will find a link on the homepage of this site.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best thing your wife can do (assuming she is even interested in the possibility of moving to the DR) is to read the past postings in the Living and Travel sections. They don't sound like they have been written about a deprived country without grocery stores, etc.

Also, click on the orange "living" at the very top of this page. When you get there, click on the links on left side of page. This will give you info on many aspects of life in Santo Domingo, but the same applies to other areas of country in a smaller scale.

Have you considered that maybe she does not want to move to the DR and will not be convinced no matter what you say or show?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you wife was dumped in the middle of Santo Domingo, she would think she was in a first world city.

Shopping malls, Mega malls, thousands of new model cars, Boutique malls, fine restaurants, Porsche dealers, Price Smart, Omaha Steaks, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc etc etc.

This might not be the USA, but it's certainly not Haiti.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Why not just book a two week vacation and C'MON DOWN! Best way to see what the country is like!!
Be sure to stay a couple days in Santo Domingo, then ride on over to Boca Chica, Juan Dolio,San Pedro, La Romana. Then head up to Santiago and Puerto Plata, Sosua. Have a look around, do some shopping (especially in SD and Santiago) and she'll have a better idea of what a third world country, with first world cities, in a tropical paradise has to offer .

FL-Hillbilly

Dec 27, 2002
There is less difference between the major cities in the DR and a lot of cities in the USA than many people think. OK, we don't have as much access to Broadband, but DSL is available in a lot of places.
Every town worth of the name has cable. There are grocery stores that are almost lik Publix or Cosco. Schools, Universities, Churches, beautiful highways and scenery a variety of climates-from desert to lush ( No, not CC lush, I meant flora) tropical.

It is the pace of life, the difficulty we are experimenting for the foreseeable future with public services, lights, mostly, and mentality issues which tend to annoy the hell out of new comers..

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm working on gwtting some fotos on a website. Keep in touch. It may be a little more time but then you can see this country through my eyes. Not saying they'er the best eyes. But they do have a different perspective to say the least!

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Great suggestions! I had planed to visit before taking the plunge. There was a day when I would just store my stuff and go to the airport. These days, with a family, I have to be more careful.

We would probably be near a city. Santo Domingo seems to offer the most options for schools and services. I don?t want to rule out anyplace from what I know now. We would decide this after visiting.

Robert and Fl-Hillbilly:
This information is good. I will show it to her. We shop at Publix and Cosco up hear.

Also Fl-Hillbilly:
I expect the problems with civic services from reading posts on this site. I am planning for a generator and reverse osmoses system. I also have some experience with alternate energy sources. I may be able to simply stay ?off the grid.? When I do have to deal with the government, I will just have to expect annoyances.

Jan:
That will be great!

Thanks all for your good advice!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Jan, if ya need help with the website, let me know. I'm living in Santo Domingo with my GF. We have DSL, 2 kick butt computers, 2 digital cameras, 3 digital video cameras, scanner etc etc etc.

Even if you just need fast net connection to upload. Oh yeah, I've got a ton of pix as well. Just took some shots up north in Monte Christi area. Beautiful beach in El Morro, cock fights, hatian market in Dajabon etc etc etc.

email me and I'll get ya our numbers.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
How about this one?

Dominicans do like plants. What do you think of this garden?

garden.jpg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Very nice, Pib. But it looks like at least one of the plants is marijuana.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
great shot, Pib

I enjoyed it!

And Ken, you have got to be kidding me with the mj bit. From all your posts you are the LAST person I would expect to know what that plant would look like. Not like I would either mind you :cool: .

My pictures are at www.xach.com/amity/drweb. There are some nice pictures of daily life in Luperon and the rest would be considered touristy shots.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
rafael said:
Wait a minute? Omaha steaks? Where? I would love to know where to buy decent beef/meat in Santo Domingo!

Try "Brothers" meat store for great beef. They have excellent imported meats. It is on 27 de Febrero the second lot west of Caonabo. It is on the west side of the city close to the large rotunda with the flag on the Luperon. Regarding the Omaha steaks, I think the store is in plaza "Las Americas" on Churchill just a block or so north of Plaza Central. At least I recall seeing some imported meats somewhere in one of those plazas. It may have been the next plaza to the north.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thanks for the info! Omaha steaks are a bit expensive. They're very good, but to eat them steadily would have me in the poorhouse;-)

I'll have to get me a BBQ!