Moving to Jarabacoa

miller

Dec 30, 2002
Can anyone give me information on 2 subjects. 1) Living in Jarabacoa. 2) New Horizons Youth Ministries (Escuela Caribe)
I'm Wondering what it's like to work thier.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know anything about the Ministry, but if you are more specific about what you want to know about Jarabacoa, perhaps I may be able to help you. My wife is from there and knows what areas to avoid, what doctors to trust...etc.

miller

Dec 30, 2002
Bob, If i'm offered this job I would Have from 9:00 am - 4:00pm
off mon - fri and 1 1/2 days off per week. I'm wondering what I will do on my time off. I am single so meeting someone would be nice. Until that happens I'm on my own looking for things to do.
Getting around, going to the beach, shopping, cost of goods.
Thanks you can e-mail me direct if you would like sales@bertbarklage com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
miller, do a google search for Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic and you will discover a lot of things you might do, such as white water rafting. But not the beach; Jarabacoa is located in a beautiful mountain area. Big cities that you can visit when you have the time are La Vega and Santiago.

Also click on the 'search" button at top of this page and do a search for Jarabacoa.

One thing you will learn when you search the archives is that many beautiful young women live in Jarabacoa.

Because of its elevation, it is cooler in Jarabacoa than along the coast.

miller

Dec 30, 2002
Thanks Ken, I have done a lot of research on the area and I'm looking to find out about everyday life. I'm trying to get a feel for
the life I will be living. What to expect. What is considered a good
salary?

FL-Hillbilly

Dec 27, 2002
Culturally, Jarabacoa is about like a desert. For recreation, there are several things to do and see, but after a week or so you will have seen them all.
La Vega is the nearest large city, another semi-wasteland.
Santiago will offer theater, good movies and probably the better cafes and restaurants and well as the meeting places for young folks.
When and if you take the job-those are problem kids up there, not the easiest to work with, you can get in touch with this hillbilly and we can set up an intro to Santiago. It is a university town so there are lots of young folks there.

Courtesy fron

HB

Unfortunately my brood are all up and married, but two of them still go out to the better spots and can introduce you around...
Over night in Santiago can be fairly inexpensive, and you certainly would not want to drive back to Jarabacoa at that hour of the morning!! Jijijiji, which is Spanish for hehehe

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You will need to go to the Park and to the River for fun stuff. Lot of pretty women bored out of their minds there. Hell they talked to AZB yesterday when we were there so they must have been. LOL

There is also a good place for ice cream and one bar:)

Hope you speaky de Panish my friend. Cause they do NOT speaky de englais.

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
Miller,

I suggest you browsed through a thread I posted a few weeks back entitled "The gravitational pull of the DR". Most of the references in that post go back to my childhood in Jarabacoa.

Some of the descriptions about Jarabacoa in this post are accurate from a physical point of view. However, as is the case for most places, you need to look under the hood to get a real feeling of what's in store.

Living in Jarabacoa can be a great experience for someone with an open mind about what may come. The best advice I can give you is to go there with an open mind, without any specific expectations...and you will be pleasantly surprised. If you are a city person and carry that mentality to Jarabacoa...you will be disappointed. Jarabacoa offers some city-like facilities but it is not a city or anything close to what you might have experienced in the US. Because of its tourist influence, both local and foreign, Jarabacoa has a very particular feel to it as you'll find highly educated, well-cultured people as well as many locals, country-like people. In fact, I would call Jarabacoa the "Melting Pot" of El Cibao since on any given day you could easily meet a German walking in the Park ("El Parque"), an American getting cash from an ATM machine, a Capitale?o (a person from Sto. Domingo) in La Confluencia and a Chinese selling verduras (vegetables) in the Market.

With regards to the cost of living, Jarabacoa is a lot cheaper than the big cities like Santiago, La Vega or Santo Domingo. I would say it's probably 60-70% the cost of living in Santo Domingo so from that perspective you'd be better off financially living in Jarabacoa.

I can personally tell you that my experience growing up in Jarabacoa have never left my mind?I continue to long for my return there (although I bought a house in Santiago by way of my wife)?I think it?s the most wonderful place on earth?but that?s me.

Good luck!!!

Giovanni