Imported Beef - Omaha Steaks?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
OK, in a sort of non related thread, I believe Rob posted that you can get Omaha steaks in Santo Domingo?

Is that true? Did he mean Outback Steaks?

Either way, I'd love to know where to buy some good quality meat/chicken here in Santo Domingo. Any recommendations? Price Smart had some for a while. I can still get burgers and sausage there. I can get Turkey and Cornish hens at Nacianal etc.

I'd love to be able to buy nice steaks though. My freezer is still half full with meats I carried in last trip. Leg of Lamd, Brisket, Spare Rips, Lamd Chops etc etc etc. I'm doing OK, but if they run out before I make another trip stateside, I'll be jonesing for some good food!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There's a store called guess what? Omaha Steaks!

It is located in the northeastern corner of Churchill and Roberto Pastoriza at the bottom of the mall next to Yogen Fruz. They have an EXTENSIVE collection of importer meat, seafood, seasonings, etc. The store is a franchise of Omaha Steaks of USA. They have a catalog (I have one somewhere).

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thank you!!!!!!!! I went to the Omaha Steaks web site and they only showed US Locations. I bet it's very expensive, but I can't eat local beef, or at least haven't had any that I liked.

Muchas Gracias!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Rafael,"Whut-da-Fu"?

The PORK here is better than the US, it still has FAT,which = FLAVOR!Super National now has a meat section that tells what farm the beef came from.Buy a Pressure Cooker get a big "California" cut at "National",put any "Sazon Liquido" on both sides for a few hours,brown both sides,put it in the Pressure Cooker with 2 cups water,2 cubes "Caldo de Gallina" ,2 table spoons pasta de tomate,a can of tomatoe sause( "seasoned") add some browned onions and peppers,cook for about 1 hour after the pressure is "ON".Much better flavor than US BEEF!The chicken here is also better.I don't know what you want.Come over to my house I'll cook something for you!...CRIS

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
dominican beef

rafael said:
but I can't eat local beef, or at least haven't had any that I liked.

Muchas Gracias! [/B]

Rafael go to the german butcher in Sosua or the french butcher
in Cabarete , they will get you the exact cut you like
hang it for the required days.
you will get the tenderest and tastiest meat ever and even for a reasonable price

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Good Steak

Paul, where in Cabarete is this French butcher? I don't recall seeing him. I know the German butcher in Sosua but I don't the French butcher. A good steak on the barby would be bonus!! :cool:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
stop at the gypsy ranch and ask at the bar for directions.
but dont expect a convential shop with everything on display.
Discuss your needs and he will prepare it for you and age it .
It is not a place to pick something up for unexpected guest.

Last edited:

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
In Santo Domingo, go to "Brothers" for good beef and other meats. It is on the north side of 27 de febrero maybe 100 feet west of Caonabo(if you are coming from the Luperon, Canoabo is the first stop light). I agree, the beef here is pretty rough. Hamburger, I am fine with, but almost any other cut of local beef gives me a stomachache-that is assuming I can get it down in the first place. We eat mostly local chicken and pork.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Dominican beef is seldom as tender and juicy as US beef because DR cattle are fed a diet of nearly 100% grass, whereas US steers enjoy a finishing ration that includes corn or other grains. US beef is also slaughtered at a younger age than its Dominican counterpart. It is hard to beat corn fed Black Angus!

One other factor is that beef bloodlines in the DR are mixed up; lots of dairy blood in those steers. Nothing wrong with Dominican beef but you have to recognize those differences and adjust your cooking methods accordingly.

Swede

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thanks for the info! Lhtown is "Brothers" a place I can also buy USDA meats, or just local cuts?

Cris, thanks for the recipe, but I am the pickiest eater on the planet! Sauces and pressure cookers just aren't for me!

I am preparing a brisket for cooking tomorrow. Sprinkle some tenderizer, poke some holes in the meat with a fork, pour on some "liquid smoke", marinate a few hours etc. Then on the "fatty side" I pour on some "Rudy's" BBQ rub from San Antonio Tx. Then just throw on my goerge foreman grill for a little bit and it comes out pretty darn good. I might have to actually buy a real BBQ at some point.

My dominican novia likes the brisket better than Outback and Daavey Crockett's!

I'm making buffalo wings tonight. First time with Dominican chicken. Where can I buy "durkees" style hot sauce. I see Ranchero everywhere, but am running low on "Franks" sauce that I brought over on my last trip.

Most of the chicken I have seen here, did not look all that great, so Chris, what brand or what store should I be looking at? I bought some fresh wings from Nacional last night and they look pretty good.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The SUPERMERCADO NATIONAL in Arroyo Hondo

Is 2 minutes from my house,and I really love it! I go there at least once a day! Ask to speak to the meat manager,or fish,or produce,or whatever you are in need of! They are mostly from Spain,and are just as frustrated with the DR as we are! They can cut you whatever you want.The place is like a "Cathedral" inside! High ceilings,wide aisles,great produce,even American if you want "REAL" celery,and carrots,or potatoes!Their "prepared" dishes in the HOT DELI area are fine!Bakery on the premises.The guys in the cold meats/cheese/salads dept. will let you "sample" any,and every, thing you want.Don't be shy! I show up and they start giving me some of everything! "Manga!" CRIS

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Hey speaking of produce. Where can I get decent lettuce and celery? Tomoatos?

The salads in restaurants all seem to look OK, but when I go to the supermarket, all the lettuce looks like cabbage, and I don't even remember seeing celery.

I like nice crisp Ice Berg lettuce and very crisp celery.

Hmm. . . . .I juts re read your post. real US potatos as well? That will beat the bags of frozen stuff I've been eating!

Thanks for the info!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why US potatoes? There are Dominican potatoes that taste better than any I ever got in the US. The ones I especially like are yellowish, as though they had already been buttered.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
You are probably right, but I am extremely picky! I am a pain to cook for or go out to eat with unless we stick to the basics. I wish I was more adventurous, but I am a very picky eater.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would hardly call eating a Dominican potato being adventurous. Pretty basic, I'd say. Potatoes grow in the ground. What difference is it if the ground is in Michigan, Indiana, Idaho, California, or some other state, or in the Dominican Republic.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
There is a reason people like their potatos from Idaho, or PEI. Oranges from Fla, apples from Wa etc.

I may be nuts but don't recall seeing any russet potatos down here.

Many a menu has touted I daho Potatos, don't remember any touting Dominican Potatos;-)

I mean why would Maine Lobsters be any better than Dominican Lobsters, they just grow in water etc;-)

Why is wine from Bordeaux so famous, they're just grapes;-)

I could keep going but I won't;-)

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
DR Potatos...

As potatos go DR has great potatos with true flavour, like the ones I remember from my childhood...DR also has FRESH vegetables...meat is questionable and a Black Angus bull or 2 would probably help..in all my travels through the DR countryside I didn't see one, but that may have been because they are too valuable to roam along with all the other cattle.

HQB