Motor vehicle rental

S-Lancaster

Dec 18, 2002
www.glen-net.ca
The CAR rental thing does appear to complicated. Past experience in the Caribbean supports this, as far as I am concerned. I mean complicated when considering the ancillaries like INSURANCE. I know you can get cars stuffed up your nose if you look like you have more money than sense.
What about the availability of Vespa and Honda mopeds (low powered motorbikes)?
AND if they are available can anyone vouch for their use on existing roads etc..
S-Lancaster.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The only thing that can be said for driving on the roads outside of towns is that you are taking your life in your hands. Based on your description of yourself in previous posts, you have no business thinking about driving a motorcycle or pasola on the highway.

Because few Dominicans have cars, there are a number of public transportation options, whether you want to go short or long distances. Not as convenient as having a car, but cheaper and someone else does the driving.

S-Lancaster

Dec 18, 2002
www.glen-net.ca
M.V.Rental

Thank you JAN. Got the message! I feel it always best to ASK first, rather than assume from past experience.
And, I have practically no experience in DR. I take your advice to heart.
Lots of snow here (make you feel happy?)
Hope to get my S together before long.
Best wishes.
S.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
S-Lancaster said:
I do beg your pardon ! I am trying not to step out of line.
Happy new year.
S.

Apparently my post was misunderstood. The point I was making was that it is dangerous to be on the road in a car; suicidal on a moped (or what the Dominicans call a pasola).

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
S-Lancaster

Before you make any decision I must inform you that Ken is the DR1 resident wussy! As for Jan....Well she is a woman after all.
Driving in the DR is quite safe. The only real problem is the traffic jams!

Tony C.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
"Ken is the DR1 resident wussy!" Tony C doesn't live here, Ken does, end of story. As my granny used to say "If you don't live it, don't talk about it" :)

Your question....

Hundreds of posts in the archives and when doing a search relating to driving in the DR.

I wouldn't advise riding around on a moped/motorbike.

This is not the USA or Europe in regards to driving, it can be very intimidating for the inexperienced. You need to be very much more aware here and take into account the little things like speeding, no lane discipline, drunk drivers and driving with full beam on continuously at night etc.

Saying all this, it can be fun and if you keep your wits about you, a good experience.

Driving is in my opinion the best way to see the DR, it gives you the freedom to do what you want, when you want.

My advice would be to rent from one of the better known rental agencies, that way they will support you if you have a breakdown or any other issues.