Opening a Bar?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Where can I go to find out regulations about opening a bar here. Answers to questions like..Do you have to have 2 bathrooms? Inspection? There would be no food..just snacks. Insurance?
I'm just wondering and trying to do a little investigating.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When you look at some of the dumps that operate as a bar, makes you wonder. LOL

On a more serious note:
1- Registered with Industry & Commerce
2- Resident - Cedula
3- About 20 more items just to get your permit from Turismo (Incluuding Insurance)
4- Register with Tax people and ITBIS
5- Register with Seguro Social and Sec. de Trabajo
6- Inspection by health Dept. (2 bathrooms)
7- A few etc.'s

6-

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Jeez...bunch of s**t huh? Even if its a small place you need 2 bathrooms. And no food cooked...just snacks and a popcorn machine. I'm thinking about opening an American style dive bar here. Shot and beer place. Nothing fancy. Like a small local hangout. American coffee. American old music. And it takes all that to serve a shot and a beer?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Well, Jan, you could try setting up your bar on the street.

SBPAC017.GIF

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What the hell is "American Coffee"?

what do you do,serve to dish water where you wash the cups that you use to serve "Real Dominican Coffee"?Why don't you go to work in a bar here,learn the "Ropes",and then go for it? CRIS

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I did work in a bar here for 3 months.
You know american coffee...watered down,free refils, drink all day and don't feel jittery.
The man that was the manager of the resturant I worked in is interested in my idea. But you know the main problem...MONEY!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Jan honey
You might try just opening like Dominicans do,if you are in a low profile area you might go unnoticed and your friends will get you clients by word of mouth,low investmentand later get legal,until then mordida still works
Johnny:cool:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Where do I go here in Santo Domingo to get all the information I need? Registering the name and stuff. I looked in the phonebook but have no clue what offices I'm looking for. I knew how to get all the registrations, tax numbers and all the crap in USA. But not in USA anymore, me and my little dog( had to say that..reminded me of Wizard of Oz).
You think an American style dive bar would make it here in Zona Colonial? All opinions are welcome!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jan

You might also inquire from your ex-pat friends who own bars how much they have to pay to bribe inspectors, police, the DNI and political gangsters and the DGII to stay open.

Most Santo Domingo bars are very expensive operations and most are owned by pretty sleek operators who are well connected. Only cheap, small ghetto bars have a small budget and even those require a certain investment.

TW