Biggest Bloody Spider I've Ever Seen!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So, I went to the kitchen last night for a glass of water - around 11pm. This black mass on the wall caught my attention. I grew up in Africa and I'm not really scared of spiders - it just feels a little creepy you know.

So there it was - a big hairy scary looking taruntula as big as my hand. I grabbed the bug spray, stood about 8 feet away and tried to get it. It got a little disoriented and fell on the kitchen cabinet, where I quickly put a champagne glass over it. One of those wide ones.

It's still there, under the champagne glass. Do I take a gun and shoot it? A fly swatter seems puny in comparison with this fleshy thing. My shoe, no, that will mean that I need to get close to it for a second time.

Seriously, what do I do? The rest of the household promptly abandoned the kitchen and went out for breakfast. The prevailing wisdom in our house is: "You caught it, you deal with it."

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I would slip a piece of paper or cardboard under the glass and toss it off the balcony, or out the door. If it's still alive, that is.

If it's dead, I would slip a piece of paper or cardboard under the glass and toss it into the toilet.

Spiders are actually very smart, you could probably have shooed it away, as you would a small animal, without resorting to bug spray. Unless it was a tarantula, that is. Ew.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
If you don't want to kill it don't throw it! Tarantulas skeletons are on the outside of their body. They break easy. I used to have one as a pet. Well, couldn't really pet it but I did hold it a few times. I wouldn't try picking him up, hes probably pretty pissed being under that glass. Unless it had champagne in it! Then I'm sure your his best friend!They'er hairs sometimes can get in your skin and its very irritating, like little cactus hairs. But they do feel interesting when they walk on you. They make a little clicking sound when they walk. Just put your ear up against the glass and listen close!!
I don't envy your "hairy" situation!!

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It must have been one of the small ones. I have heard that AMET has pulled some of the large ones over on the road for not having lights, plates, or inspection stickers. Regards, PJT

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I say, put it in the microwave and nuke it for 45 seconds and watch it explode.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Stick Paper under the glass? This sucker is heavy - it will probably jump on me!
Eat it? too hairy!
Inspection Stickers? This one needs a ultra-heavy driver's permit!
Watch it explode? Come-on, we're not really nasty people over here!

I'm going to wiggle a piece of cardboard under this glass now, take this critter outside where it belongs and put it gently under a tree or something.

If it comes back, it's dead!

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Just some general info on your hairy friend .... locally it's called a CACATA, and while it is not poisonus its bite can be very painful. They usually live in holes in the ground, under rocks or in dead tree stumps.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks for this. My dear CACATA friend tried to live in my kitchen last night. And even after Xmas and New Year, my kitchen does not resemble a rock, or a dead treestump or anything like that.

I have peace with Mr/Ms CACATA - as long as he/she lives in his/her own kitchen. I also have a fierce bite! (Very brave now that the offending animal is not in the kitchen any longer.)

jbhermes

Sep 10, 2002
okay...

Okay...I am TOTALLY freaked out by this entire thread...and actually when I was reading through it I scrolled down VERY slowly in case someone had posted a picture of a real tarantula. I have a very severe spider phobia...and now I'm all freaked out about my upcoming visit to Puerta Plata in February. Although since I am staying at a resort, I'm guessing that it's unlikely that I'll see anything like this??? Please tell me I probably won't see a Cacata while I'm there. They'd have to ship me off to a mental hospital. I guess I just have to take my chances. :paranoid:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Very unlikely you will see a cacata, jbhermes, unless you get in the underbrush. They don't go looking for people to attack. Most people that get bit do so picking up a rock or a log that has one under it.

If we don't hear from for an extended period, shall we assume you are in a mental hospital without access to a computer?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When I was in Bani we went out in the field around my friends home and were killing these spiders. I don't really like to do that but they come into the house at night andd they have gotten bitten a few times. They found the hole...dumped some water in it..waited for the spider to come out...and smashed it with a stick! SPLAT!! Sorry. I had to say that.
I live in the city and that was my first time seeing one. So I think you'll be safe.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I would just take my machete and chop it in half trying not to let the guts get all over the house, then toss it down the latrine and pass a little mistolin over to freshen the air, they do stink.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This huge hairy spider (bigger than my fist) was very close to my washing machine. I didn't even notice it and was going about my business when i saw it move. Holy cow, it was scary and huge. I mean huge. I sprayed some insect killer on it. Thanks god they move slowly. It slowly walked out into my backyard. I never saw it again. Now when i move my old boxes and stuff around in my storage room, I watch out for these monsters.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
AZB, was its leg-span the size of your fist or its actual body? Sometimes they appear bigger than they really are...

I like spiders. I remember one time, I was reading and there was a spider trying to scuttle across the floor, except that every time I looked at it, it would scurry back to its point of origin. It would scuttle, I would look, it would scuttle, I would look. Oh, the fun we had!

I'll take spiders over cockroaches a n y d a y.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My brothers used to chase them in the field behind our house. It's no longer a field.
Anyway, I did see 2 or 3 when we visited in 2001 - sooo long ago. But I think since we are bigger than they are, they are as intimidated by us as we are of them.
I'd much rather have my son play with gekkos.
mk