Legal Name Change In Dr

jeffersondavis

Dec 19, 2002
FOR personal reasons I want to have a legal name change...for one thing my legal name causes me trouble in this culture and for another I've wanted to change it for years anyway but never got around to it. Being an American but living in the DR for two years now, can I get my name legally changed, how do I go about it, can anyone recommend an honest lawyer, and how much is this likely to cost me? Your help would be greatly appreciated. [No, my name isn't jefferson davis....he was my great great grandfather]

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Just a thought but wouldn't you have to first legally change your name in the U.S.? Then change your passport, ID's etc. and then be able to change your name showing proff in the DR?

Sorry I could help you though.

jeffersondavis

Dec 19, 2002
I DON'T LIVE IN THE US...I DON'T HAVE A RESIDENCE IN THE US! ONE STEP AT A TIME FOR CHANGING EVERYTHING ELSE AFTER A NAME CHANGE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. HELP AND INFORMATION, PLEASE!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
An honest lawyer I can help you with. Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in this section of dr1 is very capable and honest. I've known him for more than 15 years and can recommend him without reservation. His website if you want to contact him direct is www.drlawyer.com

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
jeffersondavis said:
I DON'T LIVE IN THE US...I DON'T HAVE A RESIDENCE IN THE US! ONE STEP AT A TIME FOR CHANGING EVERYTHING ELSE AFTER A NAME CHANGE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. HELP AND INFORMATION, PLEASE!

I'm sorry I must have miss read your message about being an American and living in the DR for two years. I assumed you were American?

Contact Fabio he is the Guru of law on this board. Good luck!

cali

Jan 1, 2003
I have an arabian name, AHMAD, I think if you have an arabia name it is worth changing to get the GOOD jobs.

G

gigi

In DR, moslim names are acceptable, many of them, for example, are in present government.....

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I would think that as an American citizen the petition to change your name should be directed to the appropriate authority in the U.S. The existing provisions in Dominican law regarding name changes (articles 80 to 84 of Law #659 of 1944) call for a petition to the President filed through the Junta Central Electoral.