social service work

Elaine

Jan 3, 2003
Will graduate from college in May 2003 - magna cum laude in 3 years...Dean's List, Golden Key National Honor Society.
BA, Sociology.
Interested in relocating to the Caribbean for at least a year or two. English speaking with fair fluency in Spanish (spent some time in Madrid). Seeking work in social service setting.

Thoughts on where/how to start a job search would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
There was a recent post on this topic by caitlin. I tried to post a link to it but messed it up somehow. There's a decent list of organizations on the thread. Do an archive search for her name and you'll see it.

Compassion International has a good website and has jobs in the Caribbean.

Could you tell us more about what you would like to do? I know of a school in Puerto Plata that needs an English teacher. Another poster, Meredith, is involved in building a community center. Yet another poster Bugsey34 has worked with an orphanage.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Mainegirl, I was interested to hear of the English position in Puerto Plata. Too bad I can't clear my life fast enough to take advantage of it, but was wondering how frequently these positions become available and what possible pay scale can be expected.

I have ten years of teaching experience (mostly teaching English) and have a Masters of Arts in Engish. I know the pay is no where near what I could get in the US, but would be interested to know what would be reasonable for the area. I was thinking that this might be another way to supplement my future retirement income and allow me to live in the DR most of the year.

Any information about teaching in English in the DR is welcome.

Thanks,

Tondra

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
So much for the English! :) Should have proofread my reply. It should read, "Any information about teaching English in the DR is welcome." Oh well, guess my toothache has gone to my brain!

Tondra

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Sorry for the third reply, but I should have also asked if TEFL certificates or degrees are needed to teach English as a second language? I imagine a degree would be preferred, but wondered if a certificate would suffice. Anyone have any info regarding the qualifications needed?

Thanks,

Tondra

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Depends if you are going to work freelance or not: I know of native English speakers who set themselves up as private teachers in Santo Domingo and did very well.

There are plenty of small independent language schools but they mostly pay peanuts, and some more established institutions like the Dominico-Americano but they almost certainly require qualifications and/or experience.

A note of caution - if you do set yourself up as a freelance and place adverts don't mention your gender or you will get more interest than you bargained for!!!

On the subject of social work there was a project in the SW looking for volunteers, advertising here in the Classified section. There are also numerous non-governmental organisations (NGOs) both Dominican and international who may be able to use a volunteer, but it depends what your area of interest is and more importantly - what skills you have to offer. If you can be more specific I might be able to to share some contacts.

Chirimoya

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Tondra,

The position is currently filled by a Canadian. Last I knew, she was leaving mid-year to get married.

You sound more than qualified for the job.

The pay is peanuts! But the director is fantastic. She is well-educated, organized, and takes care of her faculty. When I was there last summer she was planning the in-service training and it was in-step with what my current school does in the States.

PM me if you get to the point where you can check it out. I'll give you the director's name.

Amity (The Maine Girl)

Elaine

Jan 3, 2003
Maine Girl -

Located the post/thread from caitlin. Info was useful. Thanks to you and to all for your responses to my request. I will follow up....do some research... and be back in touch soon.

Thanks,
Elaine

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Thanks Chirimoya for the warning about gender. Great advice!

Mainegirl, I wish my life allowed me to make the change so quickly. Right now I am looking at all possible alternatives to supplement my income if I find that DR would be a good fit for me and if I feel the DR would see me as a welcome addition. I am making my "maiden" voyage to the DR in Feb and plan to get as much local exposure as possible. I don't want to stay confined to the AI and am trying to get local contacts so I can experience "the real" DR. Unfortunately, my retirement time won't happen in the next couple of years. I need to stabilize financially, get my group practice increased so it can pay its bills while I am gone and train one of my therapists to manage it in my absence. It may seem like I am jumping the gun, but I realize how important it is to take care of as many details as possible before I make such a huge change and commitment. I would, however, like to PM you from time to time with questions concerning teaching on the North Coast, if that would be agreeable with you.

Thanks everyone for all of your great info!

Tondra

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I just finished my education for being a social worker. E-mail me if you would like to talk about details and your plans or ideas.