Need Help Please...

bigez1

Jan 5, 2003
I am American with Dominican roots (my mother). I have been unsuccessful with attempts to locate family (Puerta Plata) and have essentially given up. I am nevertheless, interested in relocating to DR, however I don't know which way to turn. I am an educated professional; a Doctor and teacher. I will be making a visitit to Puerta Plata next month (2/17) for a few days. Can someone suggest steps to be taken for making a permanent move?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The first and most important step is to come and spend enough time here to know whether you really want to live here. By enough time I don't mean a week vacation. Rent an apartment for a couple of months and see what life is really like when you are a resident.

Do you have enough money to live on, or must you work? By doctor do you mean medical doctorate, or do you have a doctorate in another field? If a medical doctor, you should do a search of the archives to see what you would have to do to get a license to practice here. This has been covered before.

For most professionals, salaries/earnings are not what they are in the US. Most teachers earn far less than their US counterparts.

bigez1

Jan 5, 2003
Thanx...

Thanx. Your suggestions are certainly valid. On the other hand, I am pretty familiar with the country, especially the region around Puerta Plata. As I stated, I was engaged in a search for my mother's family. As a result I made trips to the island at least twice a year for several years. Not a blind one shot deal. The trip next month is something to do to get away from NYC for a break from the crazy pace.

Because of my travels, I am very aware of the disparity in "salaries". By the way, I am not a retiree or interested in being labeled as a man of leisure. I am 40 something with a Doctorate in Psychology I have a private practice in NYC where I am also a Professor. So, I am self sufficient.

I imagine that some sort of employment will be a necessity, so I would definitely be interested in ascertaining the Licensure requirements/procedures for my profession, as well as what the demand may be like for professors in my field. This is information I should have spelled out in my original post. But thanx for the clarity; I will check the archives as you suggested. Any additional info/suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are fluent in Spanish, Hillbilly would be a good person to contact relative to possibilities in the universities.