playa dorada vs. sosua

jdb216

Jan 7, 2003
A friend and I are heading to the DR next month and are trying to decide between staying at playa dorada or sosua beach. I've been trying to do some background research and cant' tell what the difference is between the 2 places in terms of nightlife and beach activities- they seem pretty similiar. Are they? How close are they to each other? We are looking for fun beach activites during the day and fun but not too crazy bars at night. will probably stay in an all-inclusive resort- any suggestions/ideas? From what I can tell they both have many hotels and resorts.
Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can't really compare the two. Playa Dorada is a very large hotel complex. You have the activities in your hotel, and can also go to the other hotels for evening activities there that interest you.

In Sosua you would have the activities at your hotel, and those in town.

In Sosua, since you are thinking in terms of an AI, a good choice might be Casa Marina Beach/Casa Marina Reef. This is a hotel complex with two hotels and you can enjoy the activities and restaurants of both. It is a popular hotel complex and has a reputation for giving very good value for the money. Both hotels see to have their proponents, but Casa Marina Reef seems to be preferred by more people live yourself. There is a very nice beach at the hotel, but you are also within walking distance of Sosua beach. You are also very close to the restaurants and bars in town. In Playa Dorada it requires more effort to get to either Puerto Plata or Sosua.

You can get information on Casa Marina Beach and Casa Marina Reef by searching the archives and by doing a google search.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
No comparison. Playa Dorada has a crappy beach and a schedualed night life. I am in Sosua as I type and would NOT spend another night at Playa Dorada unless it was free again and I had no choice.

Regards