Setting up Shop....

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
Hi all,

I thought I had done a background work on residing in the DR, until I had discovered this message board a couple of weeks ago and have been glued to it since.

I am pleased to see that the legal counsel is with the firm that we are meeting in a couple of weeks time. Can't be a bad start...I have found good legal presentation already.

Our plan was to sell out in the UK and look to setting up the old romantic dream of a "business by the sea". The only funding needed to be to pay the day to day expenses. We would purchase our business in tact, therefore no rent expenses. The businesses we had in mind were a B&B marketing towards UK customers (away from the all-inclusives) and a beach bar (daytime only).

Initially, I was prepared for the nepotism and "gifts" needed to get along with a totally different culture set. But reading through the various threads, I have a number of questions...

Do I really need to know a Colonel or a General to help me out of situations? How do I go about meeting one?
How do I know that I am sweetening up the right person?
Are Car jackings common place? (I worry about my Misses)?
Is being fully adherent to legislation, obtaining the necessary permits, enough to avoid trouble with the authorities? Or I am being really naive....

All comments, will be extremely appreciated.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do I really need to know a Colonel or a General to help me out of situations? How do I go about meeting one?NO.
How do I know that I am sweetening up the right person? Delicate issue. I would not attempt to sweeten up a colonel or general until very knowledgeable about Dominican affairs. It could single that you want something illegal done.
Are Car jackings common place? (I worry about my Misses)? NO. Take the same precautions you would in London and you will be on the safe side.
Is being fully adherent to legislation, obtaining the necessary permits, enough to avoid trouble with the authorities? Or I am being really naive.... YES. You have good legal counsel so rely on him to check things out. Many times you could be asked for something that you are not required to have. Start learning Spanish and study the Labor Code.

Most important, never be afraid to ask questions. Be low key and start to network from day one. Gradually you will meet lots of people that are knowledgeable and to whom you can ask questions and through them meet other people that will also help you succeed.

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Dear Dolores,
Really appreciate the feedback. I studied Spanish about 15yrs ago and can not remember a single bit anymore....however a local crash course is on the books as being the first thing to do even before we start any form of trading.
I like the comparison to London, I lived here nearly all my life and consider myself streatwise to have only being attacked once in a racist on-slaught in a local park a long time ago. Never ventured on the worng side of town after that!
On another note, I had a memo today from the City of London police advising precaution after 6 "terrorists" were arrested at the weekend and were in pocession of Ricin.
I guess it's the same anywhere on the planet.....beware of the local issues / customs.
Would you happen to any advise on the B&B situation in the DR. Conducting a number of web searches from the UK, the only one that really comes up is "Sofy's B&B". We hate all-inclusives and always prefer the local options and I'm sure I'm not alone in that assumption.
My dog's name is Bungle (also a GSD), but I'm not sure how that would market... :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Only way to learn a language is with complete immersion.

See http://dr1.com/business/business/starting.shtml

Definitely meet with Sophy. I believe she has been successful. B&B's are good because you can live on site. Also is a model that let's you start small, so you can see whether it is for you. My opinion... there is a market for those seeking personalized hospitality services and room and breakfast. You will have to become very familiar with your area to guide people on where to go/who to contact for the worthwhile activities.

Also see http://pf.fastcompany.com/online/66/mylife.html

You seem to be on the right track.

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Thanks for the encouragement Dolores, I?ve read through the article on Setting up a small business a number of times and I particularly like the illustrations on the mylife article.

Our objective is not so much to make a lot of money, but rather look for a change in lifestyle and get out of the cold wet UK. We seem to spend the year working to save cash to get to somewhere warm. In the last 6 months, this has changed to...why not make a permanent move.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Sandpeep
Knowing a high ranking officer is not necesary but it comes in handy,do not pay bribes unless you have a reason to,do make sure you have a completely legal business it will save you $$$$$in the long run.Do meet with Noela the owner of Sophysshe is a great lady who has been here a long time and will be happy to give you tips to help you out.Good luck
Johnny:cool:

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Thanks for the advice Johnny,
a visit to Noela's is definitely on the cards. I have every intention to sticking to the rules, both culturally and legally, it's just reading through some of the "shakedown" stories can be a bit disconcerting.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Johnny,
Are you talking about Sofy's B&B in Puerto Plata? That Noelle? If so, I'll go along with that. She's savy about business and her community. And she's a great person too. Breakfast is great! And the B&B ain't too shabby either! gillin.n@codetel.net.do I think.
mk

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
You got it M.K. I ve known her for years and have nothing but good things to say about her,best breakfasthome cooked on the island
Johnny:cool:

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Thanks all for the tip on Noelle, Can't go wrong wih recommendatons like that. I'll definately try to establish contact with her.
Same old story, play the old "food in the tummy" temptation. I'll go just about anywhere for that alone!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Location is all important. That dictum seems obvious. Near enough to the major UK used airports (POP and Punta Cana, I should think), so that your UK visitors can find you easily.
As for bribes, they are like quicksand and the advice you have received here is right on target.
As for generals and such. Why? If your business is legit there is no need to get involved. They can be a stone around your neck.
Carjacking? Highly unlikely...Especially since killing a carjacker is not out of the question and you would walk away from it, no sweat. Jarcacking here would be very dangerous for the jackers, since there are several hundred thousand of handguns that are held legally and many more illegally...."This vehicle protected by S&W!"
Name for your place: "Bungle's Bungaloos"

Good luck,

HB

PS: Noelle is certainly a fund of knowledge and her breakfasts are #1.....

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Hi Hillbilly,
I guess I was getting paranoid reading through some of the threads, partiularly the one about a guy who was buying a car but lucked as the car got trashed during a hijack.
I guess I didn't really understand the circumstances of when "shakedowns" occur or the type of business that would be exposed to. Small "fully legal" B&B's are probably not on the list.
But hopefully, I learn a lot more when I stay at Noelle's in 11 days time (not that I'm counting).
"Bungle's Bungaloos!", I like it...you haven't trade-marked it yet, have you?

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
To make friends for life with Sofy

Bring some dry "Pig ears" from any pet shop, Sofy will be delighted for the gift. One more sugestion, ask Noelle if Randy's house is for rent, might be a good start.
Good luck to you.
WebDev

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
Thanks WebDev,
Don't I know it. As soon as I throw some to my mutts they pretty much ignore me for the next couple of hours as they're too busy chewing. They soon come back begging to be friends again...or probably playing for some more pigs ears!

Really appreciate everyone's input and encouragement with the questions I have. All the referrals you have given me have come back with offers of even more advice and tips.