• Thread starter Old_BUFF_Driver
  • Start date

Palma Sola

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

I am not certain if this is the proper forum, but seemd the least of all evils, so.

Being somewhat a history buff, I have been reading what is available regarding Domincan history and came across a mention of a "massacre" in the North at a region called Palma Sola.

Can anyone shed any info on this, first hand would of course be wonderful, but it appears the colony creased to exist in the early 60's under Bosch

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Going off the top of my head:
Background--For a long time that has been a cult to "LIborio" a sort of voo-doo god that will free the people. "Dicen que Liborio esta muerto; pero ?l no esta muerto na'. Yo lo vi caminando, en los campos de Saman?" says one old merengue.
in the mid 1960s the Liborio cult was gaining strength in the mountainous area around San Juan de la Maguana. In, I think April?? of one year, perhaps 1963 or 4, the armed forces were sent to put down what the government considered an insurrection. The followers of Liborio armed with magic sticks and painted with lime were shot down. I do not recall the numbers. A general or two passed the buck and some people were disciplined for excessive force...
Looks like someone should publish a Recent History of the Dominican Republic.

HB