Come hell or high water!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I can't believe all of the personal hurdles that have tried to get in my way for my first trip to the DR! After my father's stroke a week before Christmas, I now find I need $1,800 of dental work done before I go!:angry: Even though this expense will tap out my personal savings, I don't intend to let it stop me. I am determined to come and get my much needed R & R. Plus, I am so looking forward to possibly meeting some of you who post here and getting a real taste for the DR.

As luck would have it, a non-English speaking, Spanish woman walked into my business yesterday asking for directions. Boy, what a challenge! Her English was about as good as my Spanish, but I got her to where she wanted to go. Just a small taste of what I will face when I come.

Just 39 days to go! Keep up the great postings!

Tondra

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
TONDRA
If its not emergency dental work you might want to get it done here and save a lot of$$$$$$$$ There are excelent dentists here at incredibly low prices.Hillbilly whats your opinion?
Johnny:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree, Johnny. For example, I am completing a root canal, new crown, filling, and treatment of 5 teeth with very worn enamel for RD$8000. I have an excellent Dominican dentist in Sosua.

My experience is only illustrative. I am sure she would same real money anywhere in the country.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Wow, what a price difference! However, I will only be in Puerto Plata for 7 nights and it was my understanding that it takes at least one week to get the crown made. Maybe I am wrong. What was your experience, Ken? Could the root canal and crown be done in one week's time? If so, maybe I could tolerate it until the middle of February and save some dinero.

Thanks for the input.

Tondra

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

Ken said:
I agree, Johnny. For example, I am completing a root canal, new crown, filling, and treatment of 5 teeth with very worn enamel for RD$8000. I have an excellent Dominican dentist in Sosua.

My experience is only illustrative. I am sure she would same real money anywhere in the country.

Real money? Ken, I just had a root canal and crown done in the US (Boston) cost me around 1800.00 USD...Isn't RD 8000 around 350.00?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
At about 21 to 1, you can see the huge savings. Yes, at present rate it is about $350. Dominican dentists can't survive if they have only an occasional rich gringo client. Most of their patients are Dominicans, who can't pay those inflated prices charged by dentists in Boston and elsewhere.

Like any place there are good dentists and those you would not be advised to go to, but the good dentists here do very good work. For example, the husband of another poster had quite of bit of work done by the dentist I go to in Sosua. When he got back to Canada, he had the worked checked by a dentist friend there. The dentist said it was very well done.

A couple of very good Puerto Plata dentists have been recommended in the past, tondra. I don't know there rates, but they are well below what you are scheduled to pay.

But if you only have a week, you will be out of luck. The crowns are made by a lab in Santiago, and it takes time. First a mold which goes to Santiago; a crown comes back without enamel for checking of fit, etc.; it then goes to Santiago and comes back with the enamel; it is tested and modifications made by the dentist so that it fits and the bite is right; then it goes to Santiago to be finalized. Obviously this can't be done in a week.

Last edited:

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
I didn't think I would be able to complete this work in one week, but I appreciate the efforts to save me money. I am, however, surprised that my dental work cost is the same as in Boston. I live in a small city in Michigan and one would think it would be cheaper. Go figure.

Well, if I ever am able to retire in the DR, it is good to know that great care is available and at such a good price.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Tondra

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
My husband's root canal is going to cost $1130 here in VA but we only have to pay $617 for both after insureance. He has to have two because the dentist in the DR didn't properly clean out a cavity before filling it. That was only about 6 months ago too, and here we are after having paid out a couple of hundred USD in Santo Domingo, shelling out some more to fix what she created.

Yes it's cheaper in the DR unfortunately for us it's become quite and investment.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't blame you for being upset, kjdrga, I would be, too.

Bad things sometimes happen to patients in the DR, just as they do in the US and elsewhere.

Before consulting a health professional in the DR, it would be wise to check with this board to see if anyone has had experience with that individual, or could recommend someone in the same general location.

When I was looking for a dentist in the Sosua area, I got the names of two dentists in Puerto Plata who are regularly used by posters, and the name of the dentist in Sosua that I am very happy with.

Last edited:

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Thought I had better get the names of a few good dentists in the Puerto Plata area just in case I have problems with my dental work. So if anyone would like to suggest some names of people they have had personal experience using their services and their office locations, it would be much appreciated.

As for bad dental experiences, I can attest to poor treatment here in the US as my root canal is the result of an improperly filled tooth. So......yes, it can happen anywhere. Always best to get a few referrals from people who you trust before entering into any business or service partnerships.

Kdgrja, I hope your husband's new dentist has done well by him. I understand his pain :)

Tondra

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

tondra said:
I didn't think I would be able to complete this work in one week, but I appreciate the efforts to save me money. I am, however, surprised that my dental work cost is the same as in Boston. I live in a small city in Michigan and one would think it would be cheaper. Go figure.

Well, if I ever am able to retire in the DR, it is good to know that great care is available and at such a good price.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Tondra

I don't know of regional differences, but I do know you don't want to be flying if you have an active pathology in a cavity, the pressure differential at 8,000 feet can be horrible

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Yes, I thought that would be quite painful so I do intend to get the work done beforehand. But, God forbid, I should have any complications afterwards, it would be nice to have some good dental referrals. As this thread attests, the work is not always without problems. Since my dental work won't be complete until one week before leaving, it would probably be a good idea to know someone who I could go to, just in case something is not quite right.

I thank you all in advance for any referrals in the Puerto Plata area.

Tondra

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chiming in a bit late: If you need a root canal, you probably have an infection that needs to be cleared up, first. Do it there. It is just a short course of antibiotics and anti-inflamitory medicines. Then, I would do the major work here. I have flown with craters in my teeth rather than use US dentists. If Ken's dentist is who I think she is, she is good.
Here in Santiago, I can recommend two outstanding dentists that make you feel absolutely relaxed, even in the chair.
Just think what you could do with another $1000!!
Two ADVIL before the flight and no pain....
As for time constraints: Things can be hurried up to fit your schedule. Heck, you could save enough to come back if necessary, just for a long weekend!!

HB

Last edited:
O

Old_BUFF_Driver

Hillbilly said:
Chiming in a bit late: If you need a root canal, you probably have an infection that needs to be cleared up, first. Do it there. It is just a short course of antibiotics and anti-inflamitory medicines. Then, I would do the major work here. I have flown with craters in my teeth rather than use US dentists. If Ken's dentist is who I think she is, she is good.
Here in Santiago, I can recommend two outstanding dentists that make you feel absolutely relaxed, even in the chair.
Just think what you could do with another $1000!!
Two ADVIL before the flight and no pain....
As for time constraints: Things can be hurried up to fit your schedule. Heck, you could save enough to come back if necessary, just for a long weekend!!

HB

Maybe I didn't "complete" my post regarding dental work. Having " a crater" or cavity in your tooth is no problem, it is when you have ACTIVE pathology ocurring (Such as an infection that is being "cleared up" my chemicals AND the tooth has a temp or any kind of filling placed over the work), pressure will buid and you will be running up and down the aisles trying to find pliers to pull the damm thing yourself.

Until you have had a partially repaired tooth subjected to the lesser altitudes inside a commercial airliner, you don't know what dental pain is! Been there, done that and never again

cliffrob

Jan 9, 2003
Tondra,
I arrive in Sosua on Feb. 7th for two weeks. I think Johnny Honda made a great remark to you regarding dental work. I live in the United States but travel often to Mexico and their dentists are ever bit as good as American ones and about one fifth the cost. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Caribbean dentist. Most are probably trained in the US like those in Mexico. If you'd like to get together for a drink sometime, I will be staying at the Sabatini resort.Regards......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are some US trained dentists here, but many are Dominican trained. The DR has some excellent dental schools. Hopefully Hillbilly will see this and expound on the subject. He is an expert on this matter.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Ken, I checked the archive you mentioned and wrote down the two dentists recommended in Puerto Plata. Thanks! I also noticed that Hillbilly said that Dr. Wendy Juma did great work in Sosua and could also do root canal and crown work. The way he explained it made me think that maybe I could at least get the crown work done there in one week. What do you think? This would still save me hundreds of dollars. I hope Hillbilly is reading this thread.

Thanks again,

Tondra

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
tondra said:
The way he explained it made me think that maybe I could at least get the crown work done there in one week. What do you think? This would still save me hundreds of dollars.

Tondra,

If I were in your shoes, I'd probable try to extend my visit to the DR to facilitate completion of your dental work. The money saved would more than pay for an extra week of vacation.

My wife had some work done last April by a local dentist in San Francisco de Macor?s; a couple of fillings, 2 extractions, and a bridge with 4 teeth. Cost was $2600 RD or about $150 US at the applicable exchange rate.

BTW, I participate in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) at work here in the States. I recently called their claims office to determine if that dental work would be covered under the FSA terms. They said yes! :)

All you need is a copy of the paid bill. It doesn't even have to be written in English; just inform them that a translation from Spanish must be made. It would be best to list the costs as US Dollars, however.

Swede

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
tondra said:
I also noticed that Hillbilly said that Dr. Wendy Juma did great work in Sosua and could also do root canal and crown work. The way he explained it made me think that maybe I could at least get the crown work done there in one week. What do you think?

Sorry, Wendy Juma is my dentist. You can't get it in one week.