Eyeglasses on the North Shore

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
I have a daughter who wears glasses and doesn't see well without them. I have a letter from her doctor with the latest prescription on it.

Would I do better to buy a back up pair (about $250) here, or will I be all set to buy a pair down there in the event that she loses or breaks these. I hate to fork out that much money for a "just in case",but she does need them. Anyone have an opinion on this??? Also, and approximate price. She has bifocal polycarbonate lenses with half decent frame.

Thanks,
Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mainer, you can get her glasses here, but your best bet may be to go to Santiago for them.

In Sosua there is a glasses place and there are several in Puerto Plata. I've been in a couple and wasn't impressed. There wasn't a professional on the premisis, just someone who took the prescription and wrote up the order, after showing you the very limited selection of frames. I'm certain they send the order elsewhere, probably to Santiago.

When we lived in Samana, we went to an opthmologist in San Francisco de Macoris for eye exams and were able to get any sort of glasses through him. Now we go to one in Santo Domingo, but could just as well go to Santiago. But where you find doctors of this caliber, you are sure to find glasses sellers that are able to fill any and all prescriptions.

You may find that one of the glasses places in Sosua or Puerto Plata can fill the prescription, but you can be sure they are going to send it somewhere, most likely Santiago to get them. If that is the case, and I'm quite sure it is, I'd be inclined to go for them myself to be sure they were fitted properly, best choice of frames, etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mainer: Just up the street from my house is Optica Cibao. For years they have been my eyeglass people. When I couldn't get anybody in Santiago to make my glasses perfectly( Myopic with stigmatism), they were the ones that did it and for years they have been doing good work. E-mail me the prescription so I can check it out and get you a cost, okey?

HB