Bad Trip !

George_F

Apr 6, 2002
This report is about my last trip to the DR which turned into a bit of a disaster.
I left Scotland last October on an 18 day holiday to the DR. I flew from london on a "cheap" charter flight. I had booked accomodation on the internet in the Jack Tar Resort. I was not happy with the hotel, as only one resturant was open and my room was rather scruffy and I could not keep the mosquitos out.
Next morning I checked the internet and moved to the Playa Dorada Hotel, which I have stayed in before. After the usual debate with the receptionist about the price, I got checked it and unpacked. I had a short business trip arranged, so I confirmed the arrangements with my contact.
Next day things went very wrong. I spent the morning on the beach, had a late lunch, after this I attemped to phone home to say I had changed hotel I got no reply so I thought I would try later. I then went to the bank and changed US$ to Pesos, after a quick detour to one of the bars for a couple of cold presidentes, I headed back to the hotel. After a second unanswered call to my mother, I guessed something was wrong, so I called my sister.
Her first words were "you have to come home, mums ill they said she might not last the night" This kind of knocked the wind out of me. The family had been frantically trying to call me, however I had change hotel.
It turned out that my mother was critically ill and was being kept alive in intensive care unit, on a life support machine. The doctors had told my sister that I should get to the hospital asap as my mothers condition was still deteriorating.
At this point I was starting to wish That I was on a "package" holiday, because I could have done with the help of a local tour rep. The uk tour firms all have information files in the hotels, so I gathered all the phone numbers of their local resort offices. Armed with these and a credit card, I went to reception to hit the phones.
This is where the story changes from bad to very good. I have tended to find the reception staff rather aloof, In all the hotels I have used in the DR, I always try to speak to them in spanish. yet they always reply in perfect english. This opinion was about to change.
One of the receptionists, Antonia, noticed that I was a bit stressed, she asked what was wrong. So I explained that I needed to get home asap. She went to the office and fetched her boss, I forget her name. The boss told young receptionist to check the computor to find out the nationallity of the guests who had checked out of the hotel that day. First were the British, a call to the airport revealed the UK flight had gone and the next one was the next night, Next the spanish, flight delayed and still at the airport, no seats available, but I could go and see if someone had failed to show up. Next USA and Canada Not practical. Final try, Germany, flight leaving to Frankfurt in an hour. Manageress calls "Go Caribe?" office, yes you can get this flight. I add that I will only take it if I can get a connection from Frankfurt to Edinburgh, another call, yes I have a connecting flight. I ask the lady to book the flight, done.
I cant say how much that this help meant to me, the receptionist, reception manageress and guest services lady worked so hard to help me, I felt that I could have been a member of their own family that they been assisting. I had never seen anyone responding with such care and compassion to a stranger in need.
The bellboy helped me pack while reception passed my details and booked the tickets, and a taxi was waiting at the door for me, I gave a brief thank you everyone and went to plaza turisol to collect the tickets. Again more help, yes you can pay in a mixture of pesos dollars and credit card.
I made it to the airport in the nick of time, and caught the plane. So from my original call home at8.30pm(UK Time) to arriving at a provincial Scottish hospital 11.30am next morning. Only took about 15 hours from Playa Dorada - Germany-Edinburgh-Hospital, unbelievable.
Next followed two very stressful months hopeing that my mother would recover. To this weekend when she was told she would be going home within 10 days. And to add to that I got the cheque from my travel insurance to pay for the flights.
So I am booked to go back at the end of Feb, and I look forward to thanking the team at the Playa Dorado hotel in person.
Sorry this report is so long but these ladys deserve the praise.

George.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm sorry to hear about your Mum, but glad she's recovering, that's great news!

What can I say? When I'm asked why I live in the DR, the first thing out my mouth is usually "the people". I think your story is a perfect example of "the people".

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
George, After reading through your report it was great to read at the end that your Mother is doing well.
The reason we keep going back to the D.R. is diffinetly "THE PEOPLE". Wether we were on the South coast or the North coast we were always impressed with the help and friendship that was given us by the Dominican people!
John

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
So glad your mom is doing so much better. My father had a stroke the week before Christmas. It must have been heartwrenching to be so far from home. It is great to hear you are going back to the DR for much needed R & R. I, too, will be in the DR at the Villas Doradas. Maybe we can have a Presidente together and give gratitude for our blessings.

Tondra

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
GEORGE, YOU ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE BEEN IN THE D.R. WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS THAT I KEEP GOING BACK. THIS NEXT TRIPWILL BE #11 I LIKE TO STAY AT MY FRIENDS PLACE IN COFRESI, I DON'T FEEL SO LOCKED IN. AND THEY RUN A NICE RESTAURANTA AND BAR ...CHRIS & MADYS A LOT OF PEOPLE MAKE THEIR WAY THERE TO WATCH SPORTS ON T.V. AND JUST HANG WITH PEOPLE THAT SPEAK ENGLISH.. BEST WISHES TO YOUR MOTHER GEORGE AND WHY NOT POP BY FOR A DRINK...JUDY

michelle2504

Jan 29, 2003
George, I am glad you're mother is doing better and I hope she has a full recovery.

I can sympathize with the situation you had to deal with because when my husband got a call at 3am from his brother from the campo to tell us his father was extremely ill we had to try and find a flight and then when we got there the next day ride a motorbike up the side of the mountain at 11 o' clock at night because there was no more guaguas until the next day and we couldn't wait. When we finally made it to his father's bedside in less than 24hrs in was all worth it.

There's nothing more important than la familia.

Regards, Michelle

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
George: Happy to hear Mum is doing much better. Your situation was really difficult, but, as you so nicely detailed it, the "people" came through for you. You became a member of their family and that is why they went the " extra" mile for you...It happens all the time here.
Hope you enjoy your stay this time...try for Eddy's over in Sosua, and youhave an invite to Cofres? that sound real good.

Hell, you are even welcome in Santiago!

HB