Back from the DR

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well...I'm back in freezing Detroit from a three weeks vacation in the DR...Would have liked to have met some of you while down there, but the truth is that when I get down there I normally just stay around Cotui, as I can find pretty much everything I want around there. Basically my trip report goes something like this:
- Flew into Punta Cana on December 21st - Its a five hour drive to Cotui, but I couldn't find anything closer. My brother picked me up. Once outside the airport, loaded up my luggage onto the car, cracked open a bottle of chivas regal and got ready for the trip to Cotui.
- From this point on was basically drink, party, eat (Nothing tastes better than a Chimichurri at 4:00 AM after you've been drinking), go to bed sometime between 6:00 and 9:00 AM, sleep a few hours, get up, get dressed up, and repeat the cycle all over again...
- January 8th: Realized that I had not done any of the things I had planned to do, before my trip...and that I was leaving the next day. Gee where'd the time go. Spent the day running errands.
- January 9th: Left the DR through Santiago. Wich BTW is where I will be flying in and out of, from now on. HB you were right, this is a pretty nice airport and small, the way I like it.

Highlights:

- Went to a party with Tono Rosario. This guy has the nerves to show up at 3:00 AM and the people were OK with it. I didn't leave because of the company I had.
- One night about 5:00 AM, we're in San Francisco at a place called Caribe Night club, and the people I'm with decide we should go to the beach at that time. So we drove to Nagua and saw the sun rise while bathing in the atlantic ocean...Even better when you're in good company..if you know what I mean. How can you not love the DR?

Regrets:
- Didn't get to visit Playa Rincon in Samana. Didn't meet anyone from DR1. Lost my cellphone...

There are still so many things I love about the country, I have absolutely no doubt of where I will retire when the time comes. Hate the bureaucracy and the lack of urgency in getting anything done.

The country is definitely changing...mostly for the better

Last edited:

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
suarezn, enjoy the highlights, save the regrets for the next trip(except the cell phone) enjoyed using my 1989 DR map to find Cotui. Trip reports help us all get by until our next visit. Hope both yours and mine are both soon.
Thanks
Art