restaurant in S.D.

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant in the Capital that was near " Parque Mirador Sur " that was under ground and you had to walk down a spiral staircase to get to the restaurant? It was like a cave setting down there and they had some of the best food and best steaks I have tried in the Capital. I have to go back to Santo Domingo soon and would love to eat there if it is still in operation. The last time I was there was in 1992 I think. It was my first flight that I worked with AA and one of the pilots took us there. Thanks

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Great place, good food. It is on the east end of the Parque Mirador del Sur on the road that cuts through the middle of the length of the park just east of Avenida Italia. Since it is a cave, it has very little visible "frontage." It is reasonably priced as restaurants go here, but is not cheap.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I first went to "Meson de la Cava" in 1986

Two of us had Beef Stroganoff,and a beef filet,drinks desert and coffee,all for 8 dollars total! The food was excellent! It is now more of a "Tourist Trap".If you go and see several busses on the street,don't even think about it! You might be better not to go and just cherish your memory! If you do go,let us know how thing compared "Then and Now".CRIS

lasvegas

Sep 21, 2002
I went to the restaurant at about 8:30 pm. I did not have to wait long for a table and it was a Saturday night. It has changed a bit as far as looks. Prices are much higher than I remember but then again everything in DR seems to have gone up in price. Maybe it is just me but the food just did not seem to be as good as I remember. The steak I had which was a filet just seemed a little tough and I don't know maybe with a strange taste to it. I asked the waiter and he said he wasn't sure where they imported their beef from or if they still did import it. Lot's of tourists though. It just seemed much different to me then I had remembered. Of course the Capital is different. I can remember when there was no Mc Donald's or Burger King, Pizza Hut or anything like it. I remember Tropi-Burger and Pica Pollo I think is the name as the fast food places in the Capital. So maybe Criss was right I should have just cherished the memory and skipped the visit to the restaurant.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Excuse me for interrupting

Lasvegas, arent you the same person that had a problem with a Dominican baseball player from the defunct Licey Tigres? Just curious. Your posting name sounds familiar.

TW