Starting tourist related business in Southeast

Shawn

Jan 13, 2003
Hello all, this is my first time on the sight. I only wish I would of found in a couple months ago.
Anyway, I am an American with the intention of moving to the DR and starting a water related tourist business.
I have several questions so here is a few to start with.
Does anyone have any dealings with the existing large resorts in regards to offering an ammenity for the guests?
If I am located within one resort (as far as a busiess base) is it difficult to aquire outside resort business?
I most likely will be getting a business loan in the US, is it possible to get the loan in the DR and if so what are the benefits?
What type of legal counsel should I be seeking?
Will I have problems with finding good reliable bilingual employee's?
I will be taking tours to both Catalina Island and Saona Island, can anyone tell me honestly if these are desirable areas for tourist and are they over crowded?
I am also looking to aquire cruise ship business, does anyone have any dealings with them, and how many, if any are docking in the La Romana?
What type of business license is required?
I have heard horror stories about having to grease the palms of several people to get things done, any truth to that?
Aside from the business, how are Americans operating a business there treated?
These questions are in no specific order.
That should be enough to get things going.
Thank you for all your input.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have you ever been to the DR?

I suggest you use the "search" function of this board as many of your questions have already been answered. Once you have done this and looked through the hundreds of posts relating to your questions, come back to us with more specific questions.

I STRONGLY recommended you spend some time here before investing here.

FYI: Commercial loan rates: 35%+

Shawn

Jan 13, 2003
Thank you Robert for your candor. Yes, I have visited the DR, but it has been several years. I have the opportuntiy through a relation to attatch myself to a resort complex. My question is why do you STRONGLY suggest that I come live down there for a while?
Yes, some of the questions that I had were answered by this sight, but some of the other questions I want to try and get answers from some of the locals that have gone through similar situations.
Please review my question and I would appriciate any constructive insight.

Shawn

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When you have read some of the threads thoroughly on this board, then you will better understand why you need to live here before making a business investment.

This is not the USA or Europe, things work a little differently here...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What Robert means]/i] is that doing business here is largely a personal relation basis or family or who recommends the thing.
As for getting into cruise ship service? There already exists that service. as for going to the islands, there is already that service.

As for getting into one of the hotels, unless you have this in writing, I would hold off.

I would look into the North Shore, where you might bet some business taking diving groups to the Silver Banks (But I don't even know if that is possible....) or running excursions over to Turks and Caicos...

the competition for the tourist buck is fierce....

Just my 2? ,

HB

Shawn

Jan 13, 2003
Thank you both Hillbilly and Robert for your injections of opinions.
I appoligize that maybe I did not make myself clear enough. Robert I would not be planning on making the DR a potential home without doing a bit of homework. Yes, I might have sounded somewhat nieve in my introduction but I have been researching the Island for some time now. I know why I want to live there and I also know that the most potential for what I am attempting to do lies in the DR. I also know that with opportunity comes speed bumps and that is the nature of the beast. I have fairly thick skin from previous business dealings within the US.
As to you Hillbilly, what I will be doing specifically is not being done at present in the southeast portion of the island. I also know that there are trips to the islands and that the cruise ships have some type of day excursions. Please try and give me some type of credit here. What I will be doing has already been very enthusiastically received by several large resorts in the area, as well as interest from the cruise lines.
What I need more than anything is people in the southease area that I can rely on for advise and trust in what they tell me. I do understand the importance of relationships on the island and Yes Robert I am aware that it is different than the US or Europe. I sincerely what to call the DR home and in doing so hope to establish some great friendships and be able to give as much as possible back to the community I reside.
I appriciate a good debate as much as the next guy but with all due respect if you don't have anything constructive to add please save the negativity for someone else.
Thank you again and I hope we can actually start accomplishing something now.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Shawn,
I'm going to try and say it very straight. The folks on this board are answering your questions. You are not listening! Here are some answers:

Your question:
Does anyone have any dealings with the existing large resorts in regards to offering an ammenity for the guests? People will give this information to you in person when you've established yourself and created a relationship. Not on a board as this could be people's business, or their livelihood.

Your question:
If I am located within one resort (as far as a busiess base) is it difficult to aquire outside resort business? Yes, it is difficult. Already answered from Hillbilly - the competition for the tourist buck is fierce....

Your question:
I most likely will be getting a business loan in the US, is it possible to get the loan in the DR and if so what are the benefits? I seriously doubt that you will get a business loan in the US for starting a new business in the DR. The rate for borrowed money here has already been given to you by Robert. I seriously doubt that you will get a business loan in the DR.

Your question:
What type of legal counsel should I be seeking? Read the archives. Already answered by Robert

Your question:
Will I have problems with finding good reliable bilingual employee's? Yes! Read the archives.

Your question:
I will be taking tours to both Catalina Island and Saona Island, can anyone tell me honestly if these are desirable areas for tourist and are they over crowded? You have to do your own research on this one. You have to find out what the occupancy rates are for hotels and resorts. You have to walk the streets, talk to people and get the feel of these places. Talk to the resort/hotel owners, talk to the staff. Find the tourist board and speak to them. Again, this question has already been answered by Robert and Hillbilly. What Robert means is that doing business here is largely a personal relation basis or family or who recommends the thing. and I STRONGLY recommended you spend some time here before investing here.

Your question:
What type of business license is required? Post this question in the legal section of this board.

Your question:
I have heard horror stories about having to grease the palms of several people to get things done, any truth to that? Yes, read the archives.

Your question:
Aside from the business, how are Americans operating a business there treated? Mostly as well as your treatment of others around you. Again, read the archives about how to get along with Dominican folks.

Again, you must spend a lot of time reading the archives, and then a lot of time walking the streets and meeting people. The response on this board is negative because it is quite clear that your homework is somewhat lacking.

Shawn

Jan 13, 2003
Chris,
Thank you for your honesty. Yes, it is true that I have not read through the WHOLE site, I am still trying to conduct business in the US and only have so much time to invest.
Thank you also for answering some of the questions I posted. Some of my questions I have found answers to in the threads but in reviewing the coments from Robert and Hillbilly I failed to see the answers. Maybe I have just not looked hard enough through all the discussion that seems to go in this site.
As far as my business loan, I have already received interest from several US nationwide banks and was simply inquiring about getting the loan down there. Yes, I have done very little homework in regards to the banking system in the DR.
I also understand and can appriciate not wanting to divulge business relations over this site. I have been and always will be a relationship guy and my word has always been of utmost importance to me, so hopefully in time I can establish a good working relationship with several people within the community. Oh, and I will be spending time there while the business is being put together and my vessel is being built so hopefully I will get a better idea of the local scene.
Thanks again Chris and I look forward to future threads.