A little help please

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
Ok I'm considering moving to Dominican Republic. I'm from Puerto Rico(live in the States) so culture wise I'll be ok since our cultures are similar.

I'm just have so many questions and I don't know where to start.

1. If I send my car down there will it cost a lot or am I better off without it? My car is a 97 toyota and it's completely paid off.

2. Where can I start looking for a job? Altough I'm still in the states I would like to start looking at some ads.

3. I still want to go to college. Is tuition going to be higher for me? If so after living there how long will my tuition go down?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
flordeluz, if you search the archives on shipping a car to the DR, you will see that the strong recommendation is to sell your car and buy another here.

Being a Puerto Rican won't be a benefit. There is tension between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans here, just as there is in Puerto Rico. You'll find quite a bit in the archives on this subject, also.

To search the archives, start by clicking the "search" button at the top of this page.

Getting a job difficult unless you have needed skills. Unemployment in the DR is high. There is info on this in archives, also.

Hillybilly will be a good person to answer your questions re tuition and college.

Claudia

Jan 8, 2002
What kind of jobs are you going to be looking for????????? What part of the island are you going to be living in?

Claudia

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
I was thinking of living near or around Santo Domingo. First of I'm going to finish my associates in information technology...specifically networking and programming...so a job in that field would be good. In addition I speak, write, read Spanish and English fluently, which I know is a big plus when applying for certain jobs. I have experience working in a government office as a clerk, so I have knowledge on how to work with the whole microsoft office package...excel, access, word, power point...all of that.

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
oh and I might add that I've done a lot of translating...in open court, translating booklets, pamphlets, etc.

Claudia

Jan 8, 2002
There's a school that is offering a Language Arts teaching possition at the present time. They need someone whose first language is English. If you are planning on arriving soon, you may want to contact them and see what happens. It is not in your area, but is a job that you may be able to do until you find what you really want. If you are interested, contact Delores at 809-592-9997 or 593-7032. Good luck.

Claudia

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Forget about shipping a car. Unless you terribly need a hair-splitting headache.

And about Ken's comment that there is "tension" between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans I think that is definitely not true. You will be welcome here like anyone else. Probably more since you speak Spanish (you do, don't you?).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by Pib And about Ken's comment that there is "tension" between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans I think that is definitely not true. You will be welcome here like anyone else. Probably more since you speak Spanish (you do, don't you?).

Happy to hear it, Pib, but that is certainly not the impression I carried away from some of the threads on the subject.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
THere is a friendly competition between Dominicans. Goes like this. DOminicans say to the PR's, Where's your flag, the PR's say to the dominicans, wheres your greencard?

Nothing life threatening. There is a good sized Dominican Population in PR.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Ken I learnt very early on to take what I read on the Internet with a trainload of salt. That thread is IN NOT WAY WHATSOEVER indicative of the sentiments towards Puerto Ricans that are prevalent in this country. A few hot-headed trolls in DR1 do not represent the average Dominicans.

Of course we make jokes about them. Darn, we make jokes about anybody. Every country does. But generally speaking there is no ill feeling towards anybody here... Except Spaniards of course... (just kidding)