Marinas on north coast/Buying a boat??

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any marinas where we can rent boats or own one and rent a dock for a boat. How easy is it to buy a boat on the north coast. Where does one go to get pricing on used boats (motor) 30 footers or so??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you want an open boat without cabin that you can power with one or two outboard motors, they can be purchased in the DR. Not sure what the maximum length available is, but at least in the 20s. Yamaha has a fiberglass boat of various lengths that is widely used by fishermen and by individuals taking people on excursions of one sort or another.

For buying any other sort of boat, the best person to contact is Capt. Forrest Rodriguez and Centro Marino Del Mar on the South Coast. You can reach him through his website. Ask him all your boat purchase questions. He can also tell you about docking your boat on South Coast, but that doesn't help you if you want to be on the north side. http://www.centromarino.net/

In the Dominican Republic, boating is very tightly controled by law and by the Navy. You can't put a boat just anywhere like you can in many countries. There are no homes on the North Coast with docks in front, for example. On the North Coast, the harbors for boats are Samana, Puerto Plata, Luperon and Monte Cristi. Forget Puerto Plata because it is a dirty, commercial harbor and it is dangerous to tie stern to the big concrete pier because of the surge that sometimes throws boats against the pier. The holding ground is bad. I spent a my first month in the DR tied there and would never go back. People swimming out from shore to rob the boats day and night was also a problem.

In Samana you anchor your boat in the harbor. Same in Luperon.

No matter where it is, if you want to take the boat out of the harbor for the day you must get a paper from the Port Commandant authorizing it.

I lived on a boat in Samana for 12 years, traveling to and from shore in my dinghy. The same can be done in Luperon. Eventually there will be marinas in both locations, but until then, you anchor out as I did.

With respect to the tight conrol of boats, there is good reason for that. The number of people trying to get to Puerto Rico one way or another is very large. If they allowed you to put your boat on a dock in front of somebody's house, the boat and a large number of people would probably be in Puerto Rico by the next morning.

As bothersome as it is to get authorization to leave the harbor, I saw one instance where that paid off. Some Dominicans commandeered a boat and head for Puerto Rico. Because it was an unauthorized departure, the Navy immediately sent a boat in pursuit. The highjackers never got out of Samana Bay. For this reason, I never bitched about the rule like transient yachtsmen who don't understand the situation do. I figure better to bothered by getting an ok than to find myself an unwelcome passenger enroute to Puerto Rico in my own boat.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ken?? I saw a big catamaran anchored in the bay behind (leeward) of Punta Rucia. It was there for a long time. Wondered why...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good question, but if it was there, you can be certain the Port Comandant responsible for the area knew about it and that special permission had been given. If it was a big catamaran, it sounds like a boat that would be used for day trips of hotel guests, with permission given to anchor it there because of better proximity to its market. But one thing is sure, it wasn't there just because some owner wanted to keep it near his house.

Unless you spend time living on a boat in the DR, either as a transient cruiser or a live-aboard resident, you don't realize how tightly boating is controlled here. I have been on nearly all of the islands of the Caribbean, and also in Venezuela, and this is the only place where I couldn't just pick up anchor and go for a day sale. You have to clear out of any of them when you leave for good, but as long as you are staying, you can use your boat as you please. Not here, and I think with the exodus to PR, there is justification. None of the other islands have this problem.

What you may also not realize that every boat that leaves the harbor, every boat, must have permission. Every day that Kim Beddall, for example, takes her boat out on a whalewatching excursion, she must first get a dispatch from the Port Commandant.