Another New Visitor to DR

Krissy5

Jan 15, 2003
:confused: My husband and I will be leaving for DR in 10 days for the first time. I thought that we would be OK with birth certificates and picture ID's as we do not have passports. I keep reading that DR may require passports, can anyone who has been there within the last month sort this out?

Thanks

Krissy5

Jan 15, 2003
Oh good!! I don't know if I would have enough time to get passports. Thanks for your quick response.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
If you have the tickets on hand, you can get your US passports in 3 days...but you have to show the tickets!

My son travelled with only his birth certificate and driver's license, though...back in August...I don't think it's changed...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A passport is nice to have so you shoud get one.
It is an absolute proof of identity, since you must furnish a copy of your birth certificate from the state where you were born.
It opens a lot of doors.
It serves as a nice reminder of all the places you went.
Even if it needs to be renewed, it is still proof of citizenship!
They are so valuable that in some places with world-class forgers an authentic US passport can bring up to 20 thousand dollarrs.
Do not try to "lose"your passport, since the State Department puts you on a list and if it turns up later on an illegal immigrant you are in deep poopy....

HB

Krissy5

Jan 15, 2003
I will definately be looking into passports when we get back for DR. Most of the travelling we have done has been within the US like Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, nowhere we we ever needed a passport, but since 9/11 things are certainly different. Thanks for all your help guys!

O

Old_BUFF_Driver

Krissy5 said:
:confused: My husband and I will be leaving for DR in 10 days for the first time. I thought that we would be OK with birth certificates and picture ID's as we do not have passports. I keep reading that DR may require passports, can anyone who has been there within the last month sort this out?

Thanks

Just check with your airline, their requirements are as tough if not tougher than immigration as they face hefty fines and transport of the person without proper documentation

Be careful, there have veen many changes since 1 December regarding Passports, many countries that formely required only photo ID's or Birth Certificates now require Passports, this was found out the hard way in Costa Rica

Susan Greco

Feb 19, 2002
Passport

"Do not try to "lose"your passport, since the State Department puts you on a list and if it turns up later on an illegal immigrant you are in deep poopy.... "

Hillbilly - sounds to me like there is a story to be told regarding this one!

Get a passport asap - as said before, if nothing else everytime you look at it, there are great memories associated with those little stamps~ Mine expired last year (2 days after arriving back from DR) and I am sad that now I must get a new one before we head out on vacation this year. That new one won't have all those memories associated with it.

The Department of State website should answer all your passport questions - check on the travel announcement pages for any specific things you may need for travel to DR, according to it, you are ok with birth certificate and picture id - http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Way back when....I travelled around the world and met innumerable embassy officials, CIA, Political officers and the like. The story was universal. Travellers out of money would lose, quote-unquote, their passports (actually sold them for 5 or 10 thousand ( a fortune back then when a Chevy Impala cost less than $4,000) in order to continure their travels. Later the passport would show up at some checkpoint with a Chinese fotograph or other asiatic or middle eastern face, and then the poopy hit the fan...

Nowadays it is a lot harder, but they still try and some get by...
Dominicans travel oneach other's passports.

Previously, the page with the US Visa was taken out of one booklet and placed in another. Now this can't be done....

HB