What Does Health Care Cost ?

Curt

Jan 14, 2003
I've read a few forums on this topic, but I have yet to have these questions answered.

So how does the Health Care system work done there?

Is there government health care services?

Are all the hospitals and doctors offices privatized?

How much does it cost for good health coverage?

Do these coverages cover perscription and if not are perscriptions expensive?

Thanx, Curt

alitown

Dec 17, 2002
I asked the same question not too long ago.

Check out the 'Medical Help' Thread on the forum and also go to search and check full history of threads for info on healthcare. Lots of helpful info.

Health Care seems to be three tiered, as far as I can tell (we have not arrived in the DR yet, still checking everything out) you will need a policy with a DR company for general day to day healthcare (doctor/dentist type stuff) and also an offshore policy should anything so serious occur you need shipping out of DR. Most good doctors and hospitals take private patients, as far as we can tell.

Cost for us (family of four) to have everything covered may be as much as ?1500 per year (sorry very late, had a few drinks, can't get my head round $ right now).

Not sure on presciptions but when I visited DR couple of years ago, drugs we needed for general stuff were cheap when we took the advice of the pharmacist and bought the 'local' stuff (worked a hell of a lot better too!) Don't know if the same goes for most precribed drugs, maybe a longer standing member may be able to help on that one.

All the best

Ali Pally

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't have Dominican insurance so can't help on that. But with respect to health care, there are government health services for those who can't afford private health care. Everyone knows, including the poor, that their chances much better if they can scrape up enough to see a private doctor.

As alitown said, there is a lot in archives on health care and health insurance.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
government health care also varies greatly by location... I hear really bad things about the city clinics, but I know of at least one government clinic in a small town which is decent. Expecailly considering the cost (free)