Please help the gringo dancing boy

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
OK, now that I?m becoming a fan of merengue (see my overly long trip report for the story of my ?conversion?) and since I?m watching my pennies, can anybody suggest a few CD?s that would be easily available in any store or website selling ?world? music, as they like to call it.
st louis mike
cha cha-ing the night away

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
if you have pretty good internet access to can download music for free on Kazaa.com all you would need to do is a search for the artist or type of music. Then you can burn it onto a CD....

it will save you lots of pennies...

But if you would like to invest in some decent music, fernando villanova is decent, also look on amazon.com for used stuff... My mind is going blank right now... oh yeah Los Toros Band rocks!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hey merengue buff

I hate merengue, but since you ask here are my recommendations:

For old fashioned merengue for people over 40:

Los Toros band-Lost its only excitement, a sexy woman

Fernando Villalona- an old druggie going fat and bald

Ruby Perez-a crooner that can make you sick after a while

Milly-old timer trying to use surgery for both her looks and music

Los Rosario-Even their record company don't want to record them.

Sergio Vargas-to draw attention has grown an umbrella afro

Wilfrido Vargas-is he still alive-talks more than he sings

Eddy Herrera-why does he look so young?He sang for Wilfrido centuries ago. All his songs sound alike.

Johnny Ventura-strictly for people who can still handle Celia Cruz. A Jurassic era fossil.

The new, the bold, the in-people and for the young and agressive:

Tulile-wildest of the wild

Oro Solido-Nice catchy sound-very fast merengue

Mala Fe-the equivalent of acid rock in Merengue

Elvis Crespo-young but growing old fast

Grupo Mania-finest merengue group in the world. A must for dancing and listening. Win everything at Grammies and Latin Awards.

La Makina-Very good Puerto Rican band.Young, exciting.

Swing Divino-New Dominican Band-a promising group

To?o Rosario-an oldtimer with wrinkles even in his cheekbone, but trying his best to be young. Best of the oldtimers, but fits in with the young and the restless. Good music, but I hate it.

Do you want to listen to something absolutely crazy, but what could be the wave of the future? Try Hector & Tito "Gata Salvage" a regetton with merengue background music that will make you dance even if you're dead. Puerto Ricans have taken over Latin music gentlemen!!!

TW

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
Avoid Oro S?lido, Elvis Crespo, W. Vargas, J. Ventura, Oro S?lido,
and did I say "Oro S?lido"?

Puerto Rican merengue: easy to dance to, but all sounds the same. Trust me. In P.R., they all sound the same. Mania is finally moving away from the sound they defined. They're good.

Avoid ALL meren-rap, or whatever they call it these days.

Ventura goes way back to early 1960s, and although there is nothing wrong with old music, his style, however is history. Ditto for W. Vargas; he revolutionized merengue in the mid-1970s with Los Beduinos, but his style is history. He appeals to Hondurans ONLY. Crespo is bubblegum (appeared on Letterman's, but it wasn't Dave's fault). Good promotion from record company explains his popularity. Avoid at all cost.

Trust me. If you go to a Dominican record shop and ask fro Oro S?lido, they'll sell it to you, but, believe you me, they'll snicker after you leave. Yeah, they had a huge hit with the really, really, really young crowd: La Tanguita Roja, or whatever they called it.

-Jose?to
Just warning you, dude.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
WARNING......!!!!!

Meregue sounds good only on $50 boom box on the beach. Buy a CD and play it on a good sound system at home and you will give it to a "merengue fan"
in the neighborhood.
X.

Ps besides from the sound quality the first song
is ok but then its repeated fifteen times
over !?

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
a little off the topic, but

Did anyone else see Laura Pausini on Jay Leno singing in english? What a disaster! Not her english, which was pretty good when she sang, but, the song she picked. The worst! It might tear 'em up in Turin or Rio but it was all wrong for this audience. Polite applause is probably stretching the definition of the term. Why do hugely successful Latin artists feel compelled to record in english to try to be successful in the USA?

Anyway, thanks for all the good suggestions on the merengue artists. I know there will be disagreements. That's fine. If someone wanted to start a collection of classic rock 'n roll, I would point them first to The Who (Mr Townshend's current predicament notwithstanding) and then someone would jump in and say "What? The Who? Are you nuts? Start with the Beatles." So that's the unresolvable issue of 'tastes' in music.

I can't burn my own CDs so I have to buy (mostly on Ebay and Amazon[used, of course]) so all suggestions are welcome. Now I have to go shake and finger pop! Azucar!!!!!!!
SLM
surely going to need a chiropractor

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To start learning, try and find merengues by Luis Alberti, the first Dominican musican to bring the merengue into the "Society "ball rooms.
Compadre Pedro Juan
Le?a
Sancocho Prieto..

These are OLD, but the basic music is there.

HB

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Yes merengue tires but for those of us that need an injection of that DR feeling here (since the other kind is not readily available) in the frozen tundra, it works. Groupo Mania for sure......and for an oldy how about Jose Esteban y la Petrulla 15?

Con fuerza!

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
HN that brings back memories... it was 1992 and they were hot then with that salchichon song. Too bad they faded...

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
St. Louis Mike,

The Who rules.

HB,

Luis Alberti, for sure.

Hollywood North,

La Patrulla 15, although Dominican, developed their sound in Puerto Rico, just like Conjunto Quisqueya.
Do you remember, "Muchacho vamo a vever, que la fiesta va a empezar"?

-Jose?to
MamIndie's left and gone away.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Who knew! Puerto Rico!
I just liked their sound....energetic and yep, I have that song. Somewhere........

I briefly met Johnny Ventura here in T.O after one of his shows and I thought he was old then....was really surprised to hear when he was elected Mayor........

But then an actor acted his way into the Whitehouse (oops...just made a funny typo on that one......well, funny if you know German swear words at least-replace W w/an s......).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Jonny "V" was not allowed by his own party to run for re-election!

They ran the widow of local hero "Pina" Gomez,Peggy Cabron!She got her ass kicked ! Good!CRIS

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Hollywood North,

Patrulla 15 and C. Quisqueya really ruled. They never took their stuff too seriously.

That line that I gave you earlier was typed correctly, but in reality it went like this: "muchacho bamo a beb?, que la fieta ba empes?." Can you tell the difference?

There is one consolation: Schwartznegger and Charlton Heston WILL NEVER be presidents.

-Jose?to
neither will I

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
answer me golo

Over Christmas I watched cable tv and saw the show "Gata Salvaje" on Univision. Is the theme song the one you are refering to? I was hooked immediately to the soap. I think it was Venevision produced which was probably why it was so good.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Oh Jo-se-i-to...

No, smooth player, MamIndie's still here, see?

-Indie
Dancing up a storm to Jossie Esteban's "El Moreno"

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Baby, you're back...

MamIndie que mala eres

Que mala eres MamIndie

-Jose?to
MamIndie's got a hold on me and she "ain't even done with the night"

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
She came back, La Asesina volvi?...

Complacida no qued?!

Babe, I was here all along...

Mala yo? Isn't that from Cuco Valoy's "Juliana"? Funny, just the other day I was listening to his "El Fuc?". But my favorite of his, "Te Quiero", sung by his boy Ram?n Leonardo...aaaaahhhhh, what a song! Sensual, suave, seductive. That song is a big-time "baja-panty" for sure......

..........Oh, sorry guys, I was just reminiscing about the 'merengue-rom?ntico' genre popular back in the 80's. Me like them oldies but goodies. Carry on!

-Indie
Believe it or not, Jos?, I'm a classic pariguaya at heart, so I have NO plans of lettin' you go. :laugh:

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
MamIndie...

Well, babe, you've spoken, so I'm all yours.
Aren't oldies just soooo much better than this new merengue/rap stuff we are getting these days?

"Te Quiero" is a classic, baby. After all's said and done, there is nothing better--as far as merengue is concerned--than mrengue rom?ntico. Do you remember C?sar Flores's "Salvaje"? How 'bout Villalona's "Flor del Alba'?
I know some of the best merengue rom?ntico are really adaptations from ballads and boleros, but they surely get me going.

-Jose?to
"Have another little piece of my heart now, baby, hey,
You know you got it, child, if it makes you feel good."

Last edited: