travel by bus?

potsy

Dec 10, 2002
hi everyone. I'm arriving tomorrow in Punta Cana and i'm hoping to catch a bus or other reliable mode of transportation to Sousa or Puerto Plata. Does anyone know of bus routes or a bus depot in Punta Cana? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx everyone

Cheers,
potsy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You will have to get to Santo Domingo and take a Caribe Tour bus from there. Buses leave SD for Sosua hourly, costs about RD$100, and takes about 4.5 hours. Very comfortable, airconditioned buses.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bus Routes

Options to Santo Domingo from Punta Cana.

Taxi from airport to the Sitrabapu Bus Station in Bavaro about $300 pesos. 20 min

Bavaro - Santo Domingo Bus, at the Sitrabapu Bus Station near the Friusa in Bavaro. Buses run twice daily, 7 am and 4 pm direct to Santo Domingo, Ave Maximo Gomez. cost about $130 pesos. 4-5 hrs.

or

Taxi from airport to Higuey Bus Station in front of Cathedral about 400-500 pesos. 30-45 min

Express Buses run direct hourly from Higuey to Parque Enriquillo in the Capital. Cost about $120 pesos 2-3 hrs

Then hire taxi to go to Caribe Tour Bus to Puerto Plata/Sosua. Get your price from the driver first before agreeing to hire.

If you arrive at P.C. very early in the morning you may have a shot at getting to the North Coast same day by bus. Otherwise you may consider an overnight in Santo Domingo.

Another costly option is to hire a taxi at Punta Cana to take you to the North. Cost ?????

Regards and enjoy your stay. PJT

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
You're in for a very long day of traveling AND you have to have everything go pretty much on schedule and without any hangups.

Now, if that happens my friend, (insert laugh track) it's your lucky day.

Some spanish will certainly help too.

IMO, I'd recommend you shoot to get to S.D., spend the day/night get a place to hang your hat and then hit the bricks fresh in the morning.

You could be on a North Coast beach by 10 am. You get to see the capital, and arrive at your destination bright eyed and bushy tailed, instead of later at night, worn out and more than likely a tad frustrated and you just wasted an entire day on a bus.

Save the all day travel for the day you have to leave or if someone's chasing you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
cleef has a very good idea, potsy. Inexpensive accomodations are available in Santo Domingo. For example, my wife and I regularly stay in a small hotel that costs RD$400/night for two persons, RD$350 for one. No cable TV or air conditioning, but clean, convenient and cheap.

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
PUJ/POP

Why not take Santo Domingo Air flight....by the time you take a taxi...catch the bus to santo Domingo (the direct ones don't run regularly) pay a hotel....then get yourself to caribe Tours / Metro startion you will have spent almost the same amount as taking the 45min flight PUJ / POP...cost RD$1394.00
the flight leaves every dy 6:20pm
Hope this helps and makes your travelling a little easier
Maggie
:cool:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: PUJ/POP

maggiemay said:
Why not take Santo Domingo Air flight....by the time you take a taxi...catch the bus to santo Domingo (the direct ones don't run regularly) pay a hotel....then get yourself to caribe Tours / Metro startion you will have spent almost the same amount as taking the 45min flight PUJ / POP...cost RD$1394.00
the flight leaves every dy 6:20pm
Hope this helps and makes your travelling a little easier
Maggie
:cool:
TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH
J.H.