??parabola / satelite??

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
By reading through posts I see directv mentioned as available for some recepetion ability, does that mean the EQUIPMENT is somewhat workable or THEIR SERVICE is available HERE??
Also what about direcpc service - any help greatly appreciated.
Really looking for a high speed connection but have no dsl or cable here in this area.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
their equipment is somewhat workable.
it comes with a pizza size dish which is not sufficient here.
you need to buy a 2 meter dish.
avaiable here are an american and local made dish .
the american dish is vastly superior .
i believe a latin service might be available legally.
the american service is available illegally. The legal question is not a dominican question so far as I know.
Its for some stupid reason Direct tv will not sell their services any where overseas. So infact they dont allow you to purchase their service even if you wanted to.
For the above reason direct pc is not yet available here.
As it is very hard to install .But people are working at it.
I hear that it has arrived in the Turks and Caicos allready.

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
thanks, Paul.
I keep checking anything having to do with sending, receiving large files / maybe TV programming, so I know I am not the only one "looking" for better service - but I am impatient.....
please keep me apprised of news.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
avaiable here are an american and local made dish .
the american dish is vastly superior

I am going to differ slightly with the above quote. I can't compare the two, but I do have the locally made dish, combined with an RCA Dolby Digital/AC3 Sat reciever and get crystal clear picture and full digital surround sound. Obviously, cloud coverage will greatly affect your signal and rain will fade it out alltogether. Again, whether that is a greater issue with the Dominican made dish, I couldn't tell you, but it is a consistent pattern with all dishes.

As for programming, I have their US package in full. Refer back to Paul's post for legal issues -- but I will say that under this arrangement you cannot have a phone connection. So the PC link is out of the question.

Hope that helps.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I have heard:
You can get the dish and a decoder and you get anything off the satellites. About US$1500 for fairly good setup.

I would suggest an email to www.condosdominicanos.com or to Eddy on this board...

HB

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
american versus local dish

I have seen a comparison.
There are about a 20 to 30 extra channels you can receive .
There are one or two transponders the local dish cant get at all .
versus no problem with the american dish.
part of this a group in your 500 series
To my opinion well worth the extra money plus that if ever direct pc
gets here you need the better dish.

re direct pc the phone line wont be neccessary.
you will need a US billing address and at setup your technician
needs setup contact with that US location, who inturn will be in contact with the direct pc people.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Paul

Again, I don't want to make this a point of contention, but I do own the Domincan dish and I know I get all of DirectTV's American programming as per listings in their own site. And that includes all PPV. The downside to this particular setup is that the access card will require frequent re-programming but that has nothing to do with the dish itself.

I had my dish installed about three months ago. Perchance you saw an earlier version?

Whether the upgrade for the American model is worth the money for skippys' particular requirement vis-a-vis future I-net connectivity, I am not qualified to say.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Both of you are right. There are "local" dishes that are (Nearly) as good as the American ones. It all depends on who made them. I have 4 local dishes and 3 out of 4 are as good as the American one. The last is a little weaker but not that much. The important thing is to have properly aligned. It's a very delicate job. The horizontal and vertical need to be right on. In one case, I wedged in a small nail in the base and it improved the signal. Proper installation is the secret. Also, the programming you receive depends on the satellite you are pointing at. Both Echo Star and Direct TV transmit different programming from different satellites.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Amen to that! His office looks like the flight deck of a 747!!

One day, oh Lord, one day!
HB