Detroit Auto Show

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I know this does not concern the Dominican Republic, but for those of you who enjoy cars and don't have a chance to visit an auto show, here are some pictures I took from the Detroit Auto Show. Some of them have my son in it, but most of them are just of concept cars and some of the new models the OEMs are launching this year.

Just click the link below.

Enjoy.

Detroit Auto Show

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
suarezn...

I loved the car on pictures 13 and 14. Is it a concept?
Loved the Vanquish, too.
Nice pictures.

-Jose?to

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Suarezn are you from Detroit? I am going to be in the Detroit and Ann Arbor areas the first weekend of February. Maybe we can meet for a Presidente then...I'll bring them with me if need be.

...How long is the auto show there for?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Techie: I live in a suburb of Detroit, but unfortunately I'm only here during the weekends as my current project is in Kentucky. I leave on Mondays and come back on Fridays. If you're here during the weekend let me know so we can get together. The auto show only goes until tomorrow.

Anyhow...let me know...

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
TonyC

Thanks for the pictures. I have checked some of the car magazine web pages on the shows to keep up with these things too.

I was fascinated with the old car in the show, the one that appears as a Chevy SS 396. That was the best looking car in your pictures. Of course the Vanquish is not a bad looking car. But I am an American buff and will die hard at it.

I liked that Fetish design. I wish GM would use a concept like that to revive the Camaro and the Firebird or at least one of them. I am so sad with the demise of the real muscle cars for the young. I hate these new kids in their Civics and Integras. I just dont like tiny muscle cars.

However, I like the Evolution VIII which I understand will be just the Evolution for America, with some refinements the Japanese version will not have, but less horsepower. Of the small muscle cars, this is the only one I like. But I still love my 3500lbs. monsters with lots of cubic inches and just pure horsepower to spare and rear wheel tire burning.

I truly believe the Camaro will come back, and strong. But for lack of that, the 2005 Mustang coming out next year will be a car to respect on the red lights. And when the cobra version comes out, we will see how the Beemers and Mercedes do on the 0-60 war. Sorry I dont want a Vette. I need to see 4 seats, but two doors, even if the seats arent used that much. Its just my fetish.

Go,go Americans!!!!! At least, they dont take the rug from under you every year with changing sheetmetal and exterior design. Pity those who spent $1,200,000 to buy those silly looking and slow BMWs Z3s, many of which I dusted at Lincoln Avenue. Now they are hiding in shame, because nothing is worse than driving a two year old Beemer or Mercedes. They just look so out of date, while I still see 1994 Cobras and Camaros that look as fresh as the first day they left the showroom. In fact, I like the old ones better. And when you go to a classic car show, where are the Europeans and the Japanese anyway?

TW

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Speaking of car shows...

How about the 50th Anniversary party that Corvette is having in Nashville in the last week of June? I am planning on going with the 'vette... anyone got tickets? Wish I would have waited another year to get my baby but Oh well..

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Golo it wasn't Tony C., but Suarezn who put the pics...

The BMW in pics 54 and 55 had a price tag of $138,000... I wanted to include the card with the price in the pic, but people kept walking in front of me and checking the price.

It's funny about the old car, that was my son's (Who's 13) favorite car in the whole show. He took that picture. Personally I go for the modern stuff.

The future of driving is the car in picture 25. It has the latest breakthrough in technology (drive by wire or so-called hy-wire). Basically this changes the traditional way of driving from using a steering wheel and pedals for brakes and acceleration to something that resembles more a joystick...

I had to do some research on this a few months back for a proposal we were doing for a potential client, and it became aparent that this is where the automobile industry is heading. Pretty much all automakers are designing cars with this technology, and a few like Mercedes have already started incorporating some parts of the technology into their current models.

And what about the one in picture 43? It's a motorcycle with the engine of a Viper in it. Try driving that one in Santo Domingo...

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Sorry SuarezN

But thanks anyway to you. Theresa, the only thing I don't like about the 50th. Anniversary Corvette is the color(burgundy). There is one for sale at Santo Domingo Motors now.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The Detroit Auto-Show is cool but I just came back from what can best be described as Nirvana for a Gear head,
The Cavallino Classic Ferrari Track Day at Moroso motorsports park in West palm Beach. This is the Biggest gathering of Vinatge Ferrari's in the western hemisphere!
250 Gto's, 250TR's(Including the prototype) BB's, SWB's...The list goes on. My Favorite wasn't a Ferrari however. It was the Maserati Birdcage. Now that is a sexy car.
The best part was being driven around the track in a Grand-Am 360 gt by Max Papis! I even got in-car camera of that.
BTW The Maserati spyder Cambiocorsa....I wan't it!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Weekend newspapers ran a feature article on the new Ferrari; called the Enzo I believe. They are only allocating 90 of them for the US market out a total production of 200.

It is powered by a 660 Hp V-16 and has a top end above 200 MPH. Sticker price is $675,000 US dollars! I'm gonna have to pass on that one. :)

I agree with Golo anyway. The older muscle cars hold the most appeal for me. My buddy had one of those '68 Chevy SS 396's that was a real screamer in addition to being a handsome ride.

My favorite car was the '70 GTO that I ordered a couple of months prior to finishing my Army enlistment. Red, 400, 4 Speed, Hurst shifter, etc. I traded off that GTO after logging 163,000 trouble-free miles.

Swede