RUNAWAY: Not happy at all with US

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

americano

Not to sound overly dramatic. I am terrible disappointed with changes in the US. I use to enjoy life here in the states, but since 911 and Bush el stupido, I am embarrased to call myself an American. His administration and Republican takeover through this country has affected me personally, professionally not to mention emotionally (not at all exaggerated).
I feel like liberties I ve enjoyed throughout my life have been slowly sucked away in the last two years. I love my family, but I am SERIOUSLY thinking of not returning from my next DR trip (February).
This is far more than just talk. I have gathered my moneys from different accounts and dont plan to return.
I realize that this is a drastic move and I might not be looking at things in total (I dont expect a utopia in DR).
I would appreciate any pointers to anyone might have regarding this. I honestly dont think I will return. Not to talk me out of doing this but rather things to consider and to keep me from becoming imprisoned with DR law regarding residency status.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
americano said:
I love my family, but I am SERIOUSLY thinking of not returning from my next DR trip (February). This is far more than just talk. I have gathered my moneys from different accounts and dont plan to return.

By family, do you mean wife? children? It sounds like your decision to become an expatriate does not envision anyone accompanying you.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's advisable to have a place, job, etc. to go to. Running away never solves anything. Have a plan.
mk

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Take the money and find a good shrink to help you though this.

Jesus, as a fellow American, I think you are out of your fluckin mind. I have experienced no discomfort in any part of my life other than that stock market that is in the toilet. I think Bush is doing a good job considering the grand scale of the catastrophy that was thrown at us on 9-11.

You sound just like a loser who is looking for something to blame on someone else so you can run away from your probable self inflicted problems. How many children and women are you running from?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You need to confront your problems in the U.S. before you even think of coming to the D.R. Whatever haunts you will haunt you as well in the D.R. Regards, PJT

A

americano

PJT and MKOHN...thanks. JAZZCOM?? I think your tagline sums up my thoughts of you!
I simply dont share the same views anymore with this country. What many stupid americans forget (like JAZZCOM) ...it was dumbass George Bush 1 who caused the 911 attack. We dump on countries for not having a democratic system, yet we embrace the Saudi's because they have oil and we need our 3 cars and a SUV. I would not want to be an Arabic-looking american these days. When will it stop? When we placed metal detectors in Bloomies and grocery stores. When our credit card companies decide it is in the country's best interest to trail your spending habits in the interest of Homeland security. My father fought in two wars for this country only to die and the hands of some minor league medical student practicing at the VA hospital. The family sued (tort claim: you cant sue the government) and won $40K...wow. I will be 40 soon, 2/3 of my life. I cant/wont spend my last 1/3 in a country policed under the guise of "world police" but actually ...nothing more than a big bully.
Totally digusted and ashamed. (it is intentional that the word "america(n)" is never capitalized)

A

americano

....oh and one more thing. ASSWIPE BUSH 2 never won. The election was stolen. Not even the popular vote. A Japanese TV reporter once said ..." he is as he appears, a Cowboy. Quick to shoot and not very sophicated." Listening to him reminds me of the popular class clown.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
americano

Are you here to flame America or to ask questions on moving to the DR?

Your opener has been beaten to death. Sure the US is very different than it was 5 years ago, but the whole world is.

The latter subject has been covered in countless ways. Look through the archives and you'll find just about everything you'll need.

If you don't find what you're looking for just ask, someone will know - or know how to find out.

A

americano

Good point Cleef. So here is my question:
What obstacles do you think (or how best to approach provisional residency, by crashing on the island and not leaving?

I have emailed DRLawyer for an appointment to begin DR residency, but would prefer not to return to the States while waiting for approval.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Be aware

First obstacle is the language.

Second is the obvious cultural differences.

You mentioned "next" trip here, so I'm assuming you've been here before. I wouldn't get yourself all worked up about residency per say. Go see the lawyer, do your research but consider all the options.

Also, don't come here to "runaway" from anything - in a legal sense.

Keep reading, you're not coming to Paradise. This country is littered with problems just like the U.S.. Stability is nowhere on the horizon - or so it seems; power problems and corruption aren't going away. The government is broke and they love to generate revenue by shaking down it's citzens, so don't be in any hurry to become that either.

Read. Read. Read.

I'm only regurgitating what's already been posted or gleaned from the newspapers or the Golo.com/allknowingbeing/nostradamusito/

I was similarly disenchanted with the US when I came here - and still am - but I've learned that in many respects, it's more often a gift to be an American then it is a curse.

Good luck.

I second the motion <b>PJT</b><br>You need to confront your problems in the U.S. before you even think of going to the D.R. Whatever haunts you, will haunt you as well in the D.R.<br>I really think you need help <b>americano</b> <br>venting your feelings here on a DR forum, that deals with the DR related items doesnt work. The only thing that is DR related is the statement
"but I am SERIOUSLY thinking of not returning from my next DR trip (February). " If you were going to Cuba or Aruba you would make the same ludicrous statement, write a letter to the editorof your local newspaper or the NY Times and vent your frustartions there.<br>
Close this one Rob, I am getting sick!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I, too, am disillusioned with the way that Pres. Bush has conducted our business. Instead of venting here, I emailed Pres. Bush himself and expressed my concerns and lack of support. I suggest you work within the US system and make your voice heard. In my past experience, a geographical cure is not your answer.

Tondra

A

americano

HLYWUD...I dont have "problems" to comfront. I simply asked if I might become imprisioned in DR by staying on the island, rather illegally. That is a legimate question, I think. JAZZCOM decided to call me a loser in need of a shrink-- to which I replied (I will never speak to him over the phone again). My reasons for moving to DR are just that......MY REASONS!
Some help board this is when obviously, bored individuals ATTACK by even suggesting that one is fleeing from wife/kids or the law or simply plain crazy for wanting out of the states. THANKS to CLEEF's second response I got the answer to my question. YES, please CLOSE this one. I will NEVER this bunch of self-righteous bunch of narrow-mined pinheads anything!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What did you expect, americano, when you start off with an essay about your mental state and your desire to flee to the DR. Hard to come to any other conclusion than you are a very mixed individual who is in need of help--but not of the sort you are going to get in the DR.

If you post again (I'd suggest starting over with a new board name), just ask your question without all the histronics.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Go live somewhere else LOSER. Don't go to the DR and polute that country also. They will eat you up and spit you out in a heartbeat there. If you didn't like the US Government you are in for a big surprise in the DR.

I don't want some loser insulting MY President because the LOSER has nothing between his ears other than HOT AIR. I didn't even vote for him but he is MY President and you are a simple MORON. Your residency questions have been asked and answered many times and all you had to do was do a search in the archives instead of your infantile grasping for attention that you didn't like.

I am so sick and tired of LOSERS putting 9-11 on Bush instead of the shitheads who own it.

If you spoke to me on the phone, I bet I am the one that made the call as a convienence to you and that you didn't drop the dime. You think I care one bit if you speak to me again? If you did speak to me before be sure I wouldn't do it again. I don't suscribe to LosersRus.

Yeah LOSER Bush is the cause of all your problems... YEAH RIGHT!

You are the one that said you love your family but you weren't going to return to them.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell your loser ass real cheapy cheapy cheapy!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Come on, jazzcom, tell him what is on your mind. You don't usually pull your punches this way.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry fellow, you are the 12 year old. Kennedy didn't win the popular vote either, so what? Hell, the guy running this country didn't either. That is life.
It looks to me that you are going through a crisis, and for that I am sorry for you. But to say on an open board (even if it is the Internet) that you are going to abandon your family is insane.

Of course people here will get down on you and hard....

Take your meds, think a while and do come back with some lucid questions.

'HB

A

americano

Kennedy was smart enough to avert a war! Big difference my friend. I really wish to drop this. I got my answer. I will NEVER ask another question. But remember this dialogue two-five years from now when "life" will not be as wonderful as we (US) finish pissin-on Iraq again!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Americano, you are the one who acts as a "12 yold". You say in so many words that you cannot take the U.S. anymore, believe me you would not fit or be accepted in Dominican society were you to come to the D.R. under the circumstances you state. Dominicans have very strong family ties and loyalty. If you were to come to the island and they come to know the reason for your arriving and what you have done, ie. abandoning your family, you would become an outcast. .....and you think you have it tough in the U.S.

Take a pill and stay in the States. "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know". Regards, PJT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.