Vacation Time for Domestics

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reference your point about vacation time for domestics in another thread.

Does this apply to all domestics, whether part-time or full-time? Someone who works for a number of different people, one or two half days, at most, for each, is she entitled to an annual vacation after the first year of work for any of the employers?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like in most cases in the DR, my wife takes care of this. However, they do get the double salary in December, and they get to take off a couple of weeks during the year. Boss Lady takes care of that.

HB

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Vacation time is mandatory for all domestics, as for all workers. Whether they are full-time or part-time is irrelevant. For example, an employee with three part-time jobs has the right, after the first year of work at each job, to get vacation time from each employer. It goes without saying that the three vacations don't have to be simultaneous.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Looks to me that if she takes all three holidays
then she has virtualy abandoned all her jobs .
unless the employers allow her the other weeks off as unpaid leave.
I think if she abandons her job for a months she lost her right for liquidation.
Is that right Fabio?

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
This is interesting. I know some places here in the US, not many, they give you the vacation, but it equals the rate you work in a week. So if you work 2 days, you take your vacation and only get paid for the 2 days that you would have gotten paid had you worked. Is this the same? if you have a domestic and she normally works Monday and Tuesday, If she takes a week of vacation, then you only pay for the Monday and Tuesday and the other employers pay for the rest of the week?

Jerry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My question is like one of those of Jerry. How do you calculate the amount of vacation time a very part-time domestic is entitled to. A domestic that works a maximum of 2 half-days a week. How much vacation time would she be entitled to?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If the vacation time is 4 weeks, how many 1/2 days would she work in 4 weeks? 4 (2 * .5) = 4 days pay. If she takes the vacations one week at a time, 1 full day's pay per week of vacation. Up to 4 days.
mk

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Vacation time for part-time employees must be calculated proportionally. For example, an employee working 2 days a week, let's say Tuesdays and Thursdays, will get two Tuesdays and two Thursdays off.