ordering from Internet while in DR

msophiac

Jan 20, 2003
If I leave a lot of stuff behind when I come for a 6 month visit (like food supplements) is it OK to order while there from an on-line herb store, or from Amazon books, etc.?
Is there extra customs fees for this?
m.Sophia

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are GNC stores in Santo Domingo and Santiago. I don't know if there are others around the country.
If there is something very important, or if this will be rather continous over the 6 months, I would suggest that you open an account with Business Mail. Then you have everything sent to Miami and they see to it that it gets here. Cheaper than EPS or the other services.

HB

msophiac

Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly, thanks
What is Business Mail and how do I find out where to find them?
I order a lot of supplements on line they are much cheaper to buy in bulk, eg., milk thistle, and cap them yourself (hundreds of dollars cheaper).
I am a hillbilly from the Missouri Ozarks :)
sophia

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are in the Phone book when you get here. 683 1919 Located on Roberto Pastoriza #1, which I think is near the Malecon.

HB

T

TiberiusMineola

Importing Supplements - Business Mail - Customs

I agree with Hillbilly, with 2 caveats. I've had a Business Maill account [Puerto Plata office] for 2 years. Generally, I'm satisfied. I imported a large box of vitamins, supplements, etc. via Business mail @ 1 year ago. The freight charges were reasonable. However, Customs claimed that it had to check the contents against the "list" of prohibited drugs. Vitamin C? Niacin? Gelatin? This chewed up @ 2 weeks. I then had to pay some duty; I forget how much; I didn't have to pay any bribes. Now? I have the vitamins, etc. shipped to a US address, then bring them in, in bulk, in a suitcase. I've never had a problem. This alternative, if available to you, is simpler, cheaper, & less wear & tear on the nerves. Have a healthy week!!