Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Republic vs Costa Rica

Has anyone done a side by side comparison between these two places? I would be curious if anyone has any info comparing these two places.

Thanks
    Scott

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Done some research

Tickets more expensive to Costa Rica at least from where I live. Have a couple of friends that have traveled there and also DR. Hotels more expensive on average. Beach isn't quite as good. Girlfriends are slightly more expensive as well. The CR people are very friendly though and didn't receive anything really negative about it. Very tourist friendly. I am going to visit CR at least once in the future. Friends prefered DR a little more than CR so I guess you would have to stay there and make judgement call.
    dale7

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Education is a factor to be taken into account

CR is known to provide good education to its citizens as far as third world standards are concerned. People are in fact very friendly and have some cultural standards.
    The DR scholar system is one of the worst in the continent and most of the people are completely ignorant,arrogant and do not havy any cultural background. Unfortunately these facts may also be seen with many people having an academic background and degree. There are many lawyers, doctors etc. who cannot even write a sentence without severe errors in orthography. The papers are full of errors.
    I leave it up to you what place to choose !
    Last edited by hansbert; 01-21-2003 at 07:28 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hansbert

You could have added that Costa Rica has dependable basic services.

San Jose also has the best weather in the world that I know of - with the temperature close to comfortable at all times.

Of course, some of us have ties already to the DR, or other personal reasons for going there.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

For really good statics on anywhere in the world go to www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback folks. I will be going there for a week right after I return from seeing Theresa in Atlanta. Always wanted to check it out and got close but didn't get into the country. Got as far as Boquete Panama which is close to the border.

Any other info or suggestions from people that have been there are welcome. All I have done is made plane and first night hotel reservations so far. I want to make this a fruitful week so any help is desired.

Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Rent a four wheel drive....

if you want to check out the coastal areas.

There are a lot of dirt roads and it will take you twice as long to get from one area to another in a 'standard' two-wheeler. Well worth the extra $$ if you want to see as much as possible in a short time.

I know from the advice you gave me on a earlier post regarding car rental in DR that you like to take your time....but 7 days will zoom by and this is your first trip...

I can't give you any comparisons about DR vs. CR as I have never been to DR....but I know a bit about CR, having traveled around there twice in the last few years. Within a few months, I will have personal knowledge and experience about both places...

Try not to miss Manual Antonio...National park and beautiful beach.

Type in 'discovery press costa rica' on google and it should take you to a message-discussion board with a lot of local input....

I would be very interested in any trip report you make about your first visit...if you look at RE be careful about those "gringo prices"

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, already rented a diahatzu Terrio which if a 4x4 but never seen nor heard of the thing.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Delta has a non stop flight from atl to san jose.
    Once you get there, you will see that costa rica is highly over rated. The beaches on the pacific are all black sand and the water is dirty looking (just don't know what the big deal is about the ocean there, i guess if you are a surfer, you would appreciate the waves).
    San jose city turns into a huge red district at night. Thats when all the hookers come out to play. You will see all kinds of merchandise on the streets. They are not cheap.
    If you complained about noise and pollution in santo domingo, wait till you see san jose in the day time.
    Good points: Food is good and cheap. Girls are more elegant looking as compared to sosua and cabarete. They are more like the santiago type. The country is fairly small so you can get around pretty quick from one city to another. People are better educated and well mannered. Towns in the out-skirts of san jose are very clean and people are very hospitable.
    Don't go to places like jaco or quepos. They are boring town with nothing to do. You will see alot of gringos living and touring the country.
    Over all, its a present experience but it is nothing compared to what the travel books tell you. Simply an over-rated country.

Jazz, give me the exact dates of your trip, i might go with you on the same delta flight. Since you already got your rented car, might as well, let me be your personal pimp there. Hahahaha
    Last edited by AZB; 01-22-2003 at 09:50 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

For most guys the comparison between Costa Rica and the DR is simple...Do you like your meat Dark or Darker!

Oh and the Fishing is a hell of a lot better in Costa Rica!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast