Ham radio question concerning Santo Domingo

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Can someone give me the 2 meter repeater frequencies for the capital and South Coast?
Thanks in advance

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
We've got one in Puerto Plata so I would think SD would have one. Maybe no hams on the board.

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Jerry K
Robert's wrong this time. This is old info. but may still work
SD 146.94 - HI8MIF
SD 147.12 + HI8TJL
La Vega 146.70 - HI8TJL
146.73 - HI8WR
146.85 -
Where will be more, do a search "amateur radio Dominicam Republic"
You will require a DR issued call to operate, if Canadian check RAC site for info.
Lots of hams in DR, Puerto Plata, Santiago, SD, 2 meter operation& equipment same as North America
PM me if I can help
Art
VE6AC

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I don't know diddly about ham radio except to say that it was the only means of communication to the outside world for us stranded Americans during the 1965 revolution.

We would trek over to a local Doctor's house in San Francisco de Macor?s, who had a ham shack constructed on a 3rd story rooftop on his house. He would eventually contact a US based ham operator who would complete a phone patch to our families.

Those ham operators are the best! :)

Swede

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I double that, Swede. I got married at the end of 65 and most of the communication was via ham radio here in Santiago. HI3AV (?)
Great guy. Don't know much about it but I could do the basics back then.
I think that ham is still alive and well but like buggy whips, it is a declining business. Internet is killing it..Like who uses mail anymore..My friend had walls covered with cards from all over the world...God rest your soul Abraham....

HB

E

eye4photography

In my "list of things to bring" for my 4 weeks in DR in October I excluded the 2m handy talkie. I guess I was presumptious in assuming that I wouldn't find much ham activity out there. I guess I'll toss it in the pile just in case ;-)

-eye-

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
eye
OK to monitor BUT you need local DR licence to transmit. You have lots of time to apply. Check RAC if Canadian or ARRL web site if American for details on application.
Art
VE6AC