University in DR??

JensCanada

Jan 14, 2003
I'm thinking about moving to the DR for a year or so, and wanted to take some university courses during my stay.
Does anyone know of a good, academic university where I could take a few courses, preferably on the south coast, around Santo Domingo? Are university costs more in the DR than they are in the States/Canada? Or would I just be better off to take correspondance courses from Canada while living in the DR? If I did decide to go to a university in the Dominican, does anyone know the deadline for applications? Thanks a lot for any future replies!!

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
i would personally contact individual universities myself for the application deadlines rather than trust the voices of people on a forum.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JensCanada, I don't know what you would pay for a university course in Canada, but costs are less in the Dominican Republic. Hillbilly is the person on the board you want to contact for information about the universities and their courses. He is on the faculty of a university in Santiago and is very knowledgeable about university matters. I am sure he will see your post soon. If not, find one of his posts, click the email button underneath, and send a message directly to him.

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Assuming you speak Spanish, these are the links to the two largest private unis in Santo Domingo.

Just e-mail them for specific information requests you may have.

Universidad Catolica y Madre Maestra

UNPHU

In addition there are any number of smaller schools you could look up -- can't help with accreditation issues nor do I know what you're specifically looking study.

You'll find the list of links here:

Colleges and Universities Dominican Republic

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yours especially

Lee-Lee said:
i would personally contact individual universities myself for the application deadlines rather than trust the voices of people on a forum.

The people who live in the DR are good sources of information so you can ignore this advice and read the replies you have so far. You need to speak Spanish you know.

Some people have been here once (if that) and post liberally as if an expert.

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
Re: Yours especially

ricktoronto said:

The people who live in the DR are good sources of information so you can ignore this advice and read the replies you have so far. You need to speak Spanish you know.

Some people have been here once (if that) and post liberally as if an expert.

jenscanada....

i joined this forum in the fall. it's a really nice forum with some interesting people.... some are just plain boring but you'll find out soon for yourself.

i have only been to the DR once. that's it. but i'm university educated and know some rules that are international when it comes to getting into university. and theyr'e very simple.... if you don't make the admissions deadline that the school has published in their documents because you decided to listen to some people on a DR1 forum about what the application deadline was... the admissions wouldn't buy that excuse.

so in short... i am not claiming to be an expert on anything. i'm just posting liberally because i choose to offer what i believe might be some sound advice.

good luck.

JensCanada

Jan 14, 2003
Thanks for the concern Lee-Lee, but I'm not necessarily looking to get into a university for this upcoming fall semester. We have the same strict rules here in Canada, so I am fully aware of the consequences if I don't meet the application deadline. The reason I was posting a thread to ask about this was because I didn't know where else to start, and I thought more experienced people (on the topic of universities in DR) could offer some suggestions or help me out. Again, thanks for the advice, but I was looking for some more in-depth information.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
How is your spanish? what are you looking to study? There are programs offered in conjunction with Dominican Universities in Santiago and in Santo Domingo. One such program is CIEE, which is based in the US they may be able to help you, also at PUCMM in Santiago there is an office for International Students run by Thelma Roman. I believe UASD in SD has one also. You may want to check the web pages to look for contacts. I would follow Lee Lee's advice, you do not want to really mess with admissions at the Universities. One thing to note is there is a higher rate of tuition for International Students. Please feel free to PM me if you would like. I did attend university in the DR>.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Couldn't do it better, myself! Good Answers.

www.pucmm.edu.do for Santo Domingo Campus
www.pucmmsti.edu.do for Santiago Campus

Classes are in Spanish

Of course you haven't told us you interest in a field of study. that might help...

Needed for all schools:
Prior Academic Records-Originals. If university studies, a catalogue with course descriptions is a good thing, or else a certified translation...
Prood of Good Conduct-from local police department- Stating you have no priors
Certificate of Health
Photographs, 2 x 2 full color matte finish

Birth Certificate or Passport

and, of course, $$$$$

Varies from place to place. At PUCMM it is US$350 a credit and a registration fee of maybe $200 dollars per semester.

HB

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Can I butt in for a second here?? I'm probably ending up in LSE in
London or somewhere in Argentina but might still try again in DR.

The questions should be relevant..

Is a translation of documents into Spanish ( from English ) a REAL
requirement or just a FORMAL one? ( With the argies it's a formal
requirement but not a real one.. They accept documents in English
as long as they are certified. ) No need for a poor student to waste money unless he has to.

How long might a procedure with CONES take, and how much might it cost? ( Might go down there for a week or two soon and might want to sort papers out just to have it done. ) Will they just stamp it and send you off or?? Pardon my ignorance. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, we are flying blind here. I do not know what you are planning to do: Transfer university credits towards a degree program in a Dominican university or start a degree program from scratch, or just take courses.
Let's assume (always dangerous) that you are transferring credits from a red brick institution in England to a University program here in the DR.
Okey. What I said above is pretty standard procedure. Unless the University is trying to be hardassed, you can get by with a translation of your transcript and a copy of the Universitiy's catalogue of courses. that is is. period. Stop, no more.

By "prood" I meant=> "proof", okey?

CONES doesn't have any role in this, at this time. At least I have never heard of any and that is saying a bit....

Let me know by PM or Email if I can be of further service--only if you are a serious student...

HB, cantankerous curmudgeon professor tonight..

Glasnot

Jan 28, 2003
JensCanada:

Depends what kind of courses you thinking to.... For instance, Law, Economic=PUCCM/FINJUS, Engeneerinfg=INTEC, odontology=UNIBE, sociology/palaeontology=USAD.

What is yr profession?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Glasnot:

These universities are not restricted to the areas you described. INTEC for example has a very good medicine school and has always been as good a school of economy as it is of engineering. The same can be said for PUCCMM.

JensCanada

Jan 14, 2003
I'm thinking about taking medical/science courses...something like nursing, but I'm also VERY interested in anything about animals and veterinarians. If I were to stay here in Canada for next year and go off to university, I would be taking a vet program indefinitely.
Another thought: Programs based in Canada and the U.S. that send people (not necessarilly restricted to students) to the DR and set them up in a university-based program there. The travellers stay with a host-family, learn about the culture and lifestyle, etc., but would it be very likely to find a job in this type of situation? Any suggestions on this idea would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Glasnot

Jan 28, 2003
Pib:

You are right.

INTEC/UNIBE/PUCMM are really good in all areas, but fr my point of view the areas I mentioned thre are respectively the strongest ones. For instance, PUCMM/UNIBE are good in law, UASD/UNPHU in veterinary.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this guy is definately UASD? UNPHU bound. those are the biggest and best Vet schools..

HB