trip report(sosua)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hello everyone,
Returned last week from 12 days in my favorite country. Jazzcom was nice enought to pick me up at POP airport with a couple of cold presedentes and the next day the two of us drove over the mountain from Sosua to Santiago to see AZB.I dont know the name of the road we took but along the way were some of the most beautiful breathtaking views I have ever seen.AZB was a terrific host.He had a nice barbeque set up in the backyard of his beautiful house and several beautiful girls that he knows came over.Later on that night we went out to a few discos in Santiago.I was a little bit of a party pooper because I was shot from the trip but I'll tell ya..AZB really is the "King" of santiago.Sorry I couldnt hook up with you again AZB..hopefully next time.
Next day back to Sosua where I spent the rest of my viaje.Met the affable and eccentric Johnny Honda and breifly saw Eddy.I returned to Eddys bar a few times in the hopes of seeing his condos but unfortunately he was not there so I had to settle for gawking at his beautiful bartenders.
I stayed in the Europa for 6 nights and then in Rockys for the last 5 nights.The Europa was a little cozier but was 33 dollars per night(after haggling) and Marco at Rockys only charges $15 and was great value for the money.He is also a hell of a guy and probably the person I like most in sosua.One day myself and Marco went for a drive through neighboring towns "Los Charamicos" and "Sosua Abajo" which are poorer towns than sosua.The people there dont have much and seeing them live like that made me a little sad but they are not hungry...not cold and appear happy so who has it better?
Anyway..I spent most of my trip at the beach,in the restaurants and bars..and in the company of beautiful women.Here are a few comments on where to go:
Best deal for hotel: Rockys

Best deal for breakfast: Rockys

Best place to watch sports: Eddys

Best pool table:Eddys

Best place to go for a few drinks and an english speaking atmosphere: Brittania

Best Mamajuana shot: Roadside bar next to the Europa

So that is my trip report in a nutshell.I just found out my current employment may be coming to an end in a few months so in that case I plan on moving to Sosua for a 6 month "transitional period".If anyone is aware of relatively inexpensive condos for that length of time let me know.Eddy..if you read this..do me a favor and e-mail me with any specials you might be offering when you get a chance.
Adios,
Larry

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Hello, ILoveDR, the road you are saying is probable; "la carretera
turistica". the old road to go to Puerto Plata, it is beautifull that way. Thank you for enjoying our country so much.
Tony Cabrera

Last edited:

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
ILoveDR
Great report, your right about the tourist road to Santiago, fantastic views. Did you stop at some for the local stores along the way for refresments? Sosua! one of my favorite places.
Thanks for the reminder
Art

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
So, did you eat at the restaurant Central or not?

One day myself and Marco went for a drive through neighboring towns "Los Charamicos" and "Sosua Abajo" which are poorer towns than sosua
Actually, it's all Sos?a, ILove. The side of the beach on which Rocky's is and all the tourist hangouts is called El Batey.

FYI, Charamicos and Sos?a Abajo are not the poorest areas around. There are some really nice houses in Sos?a Abajo especially and life is decent in Charamicos also. The most extreme poverty you will find in La Piedra or El Tabl?n, houses built on stilts over putrid water and that sort of thing.

Don't knock Charamicos!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
ILoveDR

Sorry we didn't get more time to chat. Pretty busy at the condos. Can't find your e-mail AD. Send me one with your dates and I'm sure I can give you a great "Bargain" for a 6 month stay.
eddy@condosdominicano.com

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Larry,

Welcome back. I am glad to hear your trip went well.
I might check out Rocky's on my next trip. Thanks for the
tip.

M

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jane:no I didnt get to eat there because I was lucky enough to have Marco driving me around and I didnt want to ask him to stop because I was enjoying the scenery too much....also,thanks for correcting my geography.

Eddy: I have no idea what my dates would be but it would be a several month visit if it materializes.Unfortunately,the way things are going for me lately....as soon as I have a plan arranged...life throws me a curve ball and I have to change everything.I did take a walk over to condos dominicanos on my own and I love the pool.I would definately be interested in staying there.I'll be in touch as soon as I get my sh*t together over here.

Villa Trina:Definately check out Rockys next time you are in town and thanks for the "welcome back"

Larry