To move or not to move...

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
I'm back in freezing Toronto after a couple of weeks in RD and in the midst of post-vacation blahs...This was my fifth trip in less than 2 years.

I envy those of you who have made the big move but I'm afraid I haven't been able to make that leap just yet. Here in T.O, I have a great career, amazing condo on the lake, lots of friends, family, season's tickets to the Raptors games, etc. etc. etc.

So why am I so miserable?! :(

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Hi,

Because you want to live en el paraiso de La Republica
Dominicana! I know exactly how you feel. If that is your
dream, as it is mine, plan and make it happen in your own
time frame. That is, after you have done your due diligence.

Good Luck

M

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
I live in Vancouver, and went to DR for the first time December 1-15, 2002 ... and fell in love with the place!!! I'm definitely going back, and definitely going to buy a home in DR and live at least 4 month of the year there. I grew up in Hamilton and spent a lot of time in TO .... get out.. get out ... the City will kill you! DR is a fasinating place that instantly got into my soul ... and the restless feeling has not diminished one whit since I left!
I think of myself now as a DR native displaced in Vancouver longing to go home!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Sunshyne

Season tickets to the Raptors? Are they still in business? Well, if you consider that a perk in life, then a season ticket to the Dominican Baseball League is a dream.

As to your condo in the lake. I sympathize with you. I used to have one facing Lake Michigan in Chicago and at least four months of the year Oak St. Beach was covered with ice. Just about now, you can drive a four wheel over the lake. So much for tropical fun. I had a beaver coat, as heavy as you can get for Chicago winters, and still froze at temperatures sometimes of 65 below with a wind chill factor. I know the feeling.

Cmon down my man and get yourself a condo on Anacaona Avenue facing the Caribbean sea and Parque Mirador del Sur, buy yourself a Mercedes SL600 and drive down Lincoln Avenue on the weekends and to the beaches only 35 minutes away and watch AAA baseball, which beats the Raptors anyway, corruption and all. Besides you will have to swat off the women from your car's tails.

TW

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sunshyne said:
I'm back in freezing Toronto after a couple of weeks in RD and in the midst of post-vacation blahs...This was my fifth trip in less than 2 years.

I envy those of you who have made the big move but I'm afraid I haven't been able to make that leap just yet. Here in T.O, I have a great career, amazing condo on the lake, lots of friends, family, season's tickets to the Raptors games, etc. etc. etc.

So why am I so miserable?! :(

Great career=Work, live well cheaper in DR.

Condo on the lake=-10 degrees farenheit (Brrrrr)

Friends=I think I have as many friends in the DR as I do in NY

Family=only reason I haven't moved yet. Dad is 88 Everyone else can visit of be visited.

Raptors=misery with out Vince

-=-=-=-=-=-

I just gave you my reality. It may not be yours. I came back a week ago from 3 weeks in the DR to freezing cold weather, all sorts of problems relating to freezing cold.

I spent first week dealing with problems during the day which aren't even fixed yet, nights arranging a trip to Costa Rica next month. I already have tickets to DR for Samana Santa already bought and paid for.

I will survive, I will fix the problems, I will keep traveling, I will move after my dad passes and enjoy life a little.

Good luck figuring out yours.

Escott

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
Hey I know the Raptor's have been in a slump but I still have hope!
Thanks for the replies. It is a never ending dilema that I have trying to figure out what to do. My girlfriends have threatened an "intervention" if I take off again (hahaha). Seriously, although I love Toronto and Canada, and all that they have to offer, I can't get DR out of my system. With each trip I think "ok, I'll be done after this trip" only to find myself searching the travel sites upon my return. But I haven't made the official move I guess primarily because of my work, which I enjoy and frankly it allows me to be able to do just about whatever I want (ie. travel!). I'm not sure I would have that freedom (ie. financially) else where. Also, with that is a sense of insecurity about giving up something good.
But DR...the warmth...the men...the music...the people....did I mention the men??? ;->

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Sunshyne

Start saving lots of dollars and get yourself some retirement income from private sources that can give you early retirement benefits and then make the jump. I had the same ideas you have and planned things well, and now I am here living the good life. No staff meetings, no job hunting, no fear of getting fired, no mickey mouse rahrahrah gatherings at the workplace, no more wearing of company buttons on suits and shirts, no more company T-shirts,no obligatory golf playing with company executives and clients,no expense reports,no business suits and ties, no report meetings, no goals and quotas. Just laugh at the real world, which is miserable.

The biggest pleasure I get out of this life is thumbing my nose at people I see on the news walking with briefcases to go to work. I even feel pity for Dominicans that have to wear a suit everyday.

C'mon down when you are ready and join the free world.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is fun to dream of moving to the DR,and easy to "invite" someone to come,..

..but the stark reality is that it costs a great deal of money to live like we are accustomed to in the US and Canada! And more all the time! I spent about 300 thousand US to get "Set-up"! House,cars,furniture,bam,that was it! Living in a palm frond hut on the beach is cool for a week or two,but not forever.Good jobs for a foreigner are just about non-existant.You don't speak Spanish,(Dominican Spanish) you don't have a chance.Just because you got all "As" in highschool,or college Spanish won't help.Make your fortune there first,move here to enjoy it.CRIS

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Criss is right. I have simple furniture in my house and I spent a fortune in getting everything together. If you were to live american standard lifestyle, be prepared to pay up. Its not cheap to live here and enjoy the life at the same time. Economy is really bad and money is almost impossible to make in large quantity.
But if you do find a unique way to make decent money, then there is no country like DR.
I am a chiropractor in santiago (almost no competition), yet i mostly find myself playing with the internet. People are just not spending money on anything. I see a few patients a day but mostly other general practitioners are simply reading news papers in their offices.
So if you think you can come here with canadian/american education and get a good job, you will be in for a surprise. Thats why very few foreigners really make it here. Mostly you see in the coastal cities are all broke and simply getting by.
Be careful of the dominican men, they are good players so i hope your desire to move down here is not only based on them.My advice, make money in canada and come visit this island from time to time until you are absolutely sure what you want out of life.
Bye the way, it seems you were really having a good time in juan dolio; didn't even take a minute out to call me. Well, maybe next time.
Good luck. AZB

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I am in the process of moving and my costs of setup is not that different from Criss... Listen to AZB and CC both are giving good advice...

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hehehehe!

AZB said:
[I am a chiropractor in santiago (almost no competition), yet i mostly find myself playing with the internet. People are just not spending money on anything. I see a few patients a day but mostly other general practitioners are simply reading news papers in their offices.
QUOTE]

Specially if they are free newspapers like El Diario Libre, El Expresso, Ultima Hora and El Dia!!!! What a country. You don't even have to buy the news.

TW

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Moving to the D.R. has been one of my wishes for a while now. It's just not that easy for me to leave everything behind and make the move. I too have a great career and the other things you mentioned. Maybe if you set goals you can make the big move.

I have always said that in order for me to live in the D.R. I have to have my own home, a good vehicle, and most importantly a steady source of income. If I were to work in the D.R. I would have to be earning anywhere between 20,000 to 30,000 a month minimum. I know this # might seem unrealistic to some but it can be done if you know "the right people". It's either that or having your own business. Something where you can profit from and live the life most of us dream of having in the D.R.

Good luck man. I wish you the best.

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
AZB - I was waiting for your call! ;-> Well you can be sure about one thing, there WILL be a next time, and I may be tempted to explore Santiago!
As for the making money and then coming down, I'm only 30! Too far to contemplate retirement! And I'm not hell bent on living the lifestyle that I have here down there, after all, that's not why I want to go. My best times have been spent visiting friends in little two room houses in Consuelo and San Pedro. And before the barrage of comments about not living in the real world, I have lived in many parts of the world and have an idea of the differences in lifestyle.
Today I booked a trip to Jamaica (big Air Canada seat sale!) next month (ah the luxury of being Canadian and being able to pick up and go anywhere is one that I no longer take for granted!). I'm sure it will be difficult for me to be so close and yet so far from Santo Domingo!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Sunshyne....

Live Your Dreams... That is my philosophy, just be prepared and have a plan!

E-mail me, I stay in Consuelo all of the time and am working on a project just outside of there, I'd like to discuss peoples with you!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Before you get all gooey eyed and sillier than you are now, go over to the LEGAL page and read Amber's thread. And that is just one of many, many...
Besides all of this is free, yet solid advice..

HB